Is my truck running right?

squeak12

Reaction score
I have a solid, seemingly dependable truck, knock on wood, but it has a good bit of blow by, smells of oil/diesel more than I think it should, smokes white and low power when cold, and does some quirky stuff sometimes. It leaks a bit of oil from somewhere unknown to me. It isn't terrible, but it leaks enough to screw the driveway up. Between burning and leaking, I add a quart at 3000 and change the oil at 5000. Is my truck running regular for a 10 year old truck? I do have 16.5:1 pistons if that would account for the smoke and starting?

Last edited:

squeak12

Reaction score
I have owned it since March 2008. It has the CCV mod dumped under the cab. It leaks a drop every once in a while.

dietoremain

Reaction score
For the oil leak check the hpop and pedestal orings... fuel well do you smell raw fuel? Check the uppipes for excessive soot on the firewall(a lil soot on the pipes means they may have a small leak but nothin major shouldnt affect your trucks performance).

squeak12

Reaction score
HPOP seems ok. There is no oil in the valley at least. I hope my leak is the oil rail plugs, but looks like an oil pan gasket. If it is the pan, it is going to keep leaking for several years. It only leaks after running, though. Pedestal rings were changed when I gutted it. I thought it was leaking from there initially.

As far as the smell, when it is first started it has a slight fuel smell. Once it is warmed up, it is just a smelly diesel truck. It doesn't really bother me unless I'm in a busy parking lot or next to a car a light.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.