Is Rotella really bad on a 7.3?

01PSD

Reaction score
That's pretty wild, I write down every little thing regarding maintenance on this truck so I know exactly what has been done, when it was done, why it was done, etc. LOL I'll continue running Rotella as I just can't afford synthetics for every oil change

Delta161

Reaction score
When I first bought my truck I was running rotella. I decided to try something different a few months ago and switched to valvoline. It made a huge difference. My truck runs so much smoother and quietly. I highly recommend valvoline from my personal experience. It's quite a price difference compared to rotella but I don't have to change it as often

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
:whs:

We can tell who used Rotella oil in their 7.3L, and those who use a good synthetic. The Rotella oil will work, it just needs to be changed more often! An injector can be wore out without causing a miss...

Are we talking about conventional Rotella or the whole Rotella brand?

I'm running Rotella T6 on due to many high regards. My UOA have always come back good.

Mike M

Reaction score
Are we talking about conventional Rotella or the whole Rotella brand?

I'm running Rotella T6 on due to many high regards. My UOA have always come back good.

It wasn't ever clarified, but I think the OP was referring to conventional 15W-40 Rotella. That's how I took it, anyway.

That 5W-40 T6 is real good stuff. Just a little pricey.

JD3020

Reaction score
So T6 is pretty good? Thats what my truck currently has, but i noticed 0 differenece between it and regular Rotella. Might've also been cause my truck has had some other problems and ran like ass to begin with.

Now back to the regular Rotella, are the problems with it from running it to long between changes? Reason being is we never go past 4k miles on a change with our 7.3's, usually closer to 3k. Now in the D-max we have pushed 8-10k miles before between changes, with 0 problems so far. Never have done a oil test though so who knows how bad it was. :fustrate:

Mike M

Reaction score
So T6 is pretty good? Thats what my truck currently has, but i noticed 0 differenece between it and regular Rotella. Might've also been cause my truck has had some other problems and ran like ass to begin with.

Now back to the regular Rotella, are the problems with it from running it to long between changes? Reason being is we never go past 4k miles on a change with our 7.3's, usually closer to 3k. Now in the D-max we have pushed 8-10k miles before between changes, with 0 problems so far. Never have done a oil test though so who knows how bad it was. :fustrate:

Apples to oranges, but I've got oil analysis results from running the T6 in the wife's Jeep Liberty that say it's pretty much like new at 4,000 miles.

I think you're good if you keep clean oil in a 7.3L, like what you've been doing (3-4K tops on a change). The oil just has a lot to do, all while getting pressurized up to 3,000 psi on the injection side. The 6.0L it's probably even worse with higher ICP and all...

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
I'm running T6 with no problems. I usually change at 10k. The only way to know how your engine is treating our oil is to get it tested. My oil usually lasts between 12k and 15k

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
How many of yall out their run Sabre Chem's Syn-Pro oil? I have been running it in racing for a few years and have seen improvements when refreshing motors. So I began running this stuff in my truck.

DocBar

Reaction score
Apples to oranges, but I've got oil analysis results from running the T6 in the wife's Jeep Liberty that say it's pretty much like new at 4,000 miles.

I think you're good if you keep clean oil in a 7.3L, like what you've been doing (3-4K tops on a change). The oil just has a lot to do, all while getting pressurized up to 3,000 psi on the injection side. The 6.0L it's probably even worse with higher ICP and all...
I'll go with this. Some of the best advice I've gotten on this subject is that the truck will tell you when it needs new oil by how it runs/sounds. I've found this to be true in regards to how I use the truck. Running it hard or towing a lot, I change the oil earlier. Sometimes in as few as 2500 miles. Easy, daily driving I've gone 5000+. Nowadays, I pay much more attention to how the motor runs than the odometer. Since I have less than 20K on my new motor, I'll start doing some OA on it. I still have a Blackstone bottle in the glovebox.
On a side note, what do you guys run as a fuel additive? I usually add Lucas fuel conditioner, but I've talked to a few people who are completely against anything Lucas.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
Lucas is good stuff as I have personaly met Mr. Lucas and have ran his lubricants and they are all very good products. But if you want top of the line lubricants Sabre Chem is the best out there hands down in my opinion. I have seen drastic results in bearing wear vs other synthetic oils. Bearings look brand new after several races on Sabre Chem's Syn-Pro.

DocBar

Reaction score
Lucas is good stuff as I have personaly met Mr. Lucas and have ran his lubricants and they are all very good products. But if you want top of the line lubricants Sabre Chem is the best out there hands down in my opinion. I have seen drastic results in bearing wear vs other synthetic oils. Bearings look brand new after several races on Sabre Chem's Syn-Pro.
That's good to hear. What kind of racing do you do?

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
Also with Syn-Pro I go 20,000 miles on a oil change and the oil appears to still be good. They say go 25,000 miles. And I see a slight fuel mileage increase. I'm personally saving $400 every 20,000 miles and that was calculated a diesel being $3.50 a gallon.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Also with Syn-Pro I go 20,000 miles on a oil change and the oil appears to still be good. They say go 25,000 miles. And I see a slight fuel mileage increase. I'm personally saving $400 every 20,000 miles and that was calculated a diesel being $3.50 a gallon.

Appears to be good?? Have u ever had a uoa?

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
There's quite a bit of difference between that and running PSD's on a daily basis.

I do understand this. But we also ran engines at 16,000 rpms. So that itself is very hard on bearings.

I might should test the oil after 20,000 miles. But I do know the maker runs it in his diesel and says its fine to change it every 30,000 miles.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I do understand this. But we also ran engines at 16,000 rpms. So that itself is very hard on bearings.

I might should test the oil after 20,000 miles. But I do know the maker runs it in his diesel and says its fine to change it every 30,000 miles.

The unique issues with 7.3s (and 6.0s) is that the engine oil is also pressurized to 3Kpsi+ to fire the injectors and deliver fuel - this high pressure, high speed, high heat application shears the oil much faster than other applications. Generally speaking you could have a sparkling oil analysis in every respect except the oil is sheared all to hell.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.