its a love, hate relationship.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I love my 6.0. far and away more refined truck than my 7.3 ever thought about being in all areas...

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

97strokn&smokn

Reaction score
They are.

Less cracked heads on 6.0s. Havent seen a 6.0 melt a hole in a piston yet. 6.0s dont have such a back pressure problem.

Dont get me wrong, i love a 6.4. But when it happens they fail a lot more catastrophicly than a 6.0

:thumbup:

Il have to agree always bigger problems on a 6.4 when they let go. But i love my 6.0s my whole family has them, but there not cheap either if i didnt know anything about them and i was just buying a diesel truck for relaiblity and not to build parts off. I would probly own a 7.3 sd.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
They are.

Less cracked heads on 6.0s. Havent seen a 6.0 melt a hole in a piston yet. 6.0s dont have such a back pressure problem.

Dont get me wrong, i love a 6.4. But when it happens they fail a lot more catastrophicly than a 6.0

:thumbup:

Because Racecar , I mean mo power.

AllanB

Reaction score
The biggest reason it has such a bad rep IMHO is because it was the first one to get a egr system and we all know that egr's on diesels is a dumbass idea, so its had the longest running battle with failures due to poorly designed emissions equipment.

Its really a great motor if you know what to do to get rid of the flawed junk strapped to it.

That and I think off the shelve tuners were starting to get more aggressive about the time the 6.0 came along. There are a plenty of head hasket failures on a bone stock 6.0, but I would love to know just the percentage that were running at a higher HP than stock. I have a 6.0 and it runs a quite a bit more HP than stock. But if I still had stock head bolts and I blew a gasket. I have no one to blame but myself for that. Strange how most guys that complain about blowing head gaskets don't look at it that way.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
That and I think off the shelve tuners were starting to get more aggressive about the time the 6.0 came along. There are a plenty of head hasket failures on a bone stock 6.0, but I would love to know just the percentage that were running at a higher HP than stock. I have a 6.0 and it runs a quite a bit more HP than stock. But if I still had stock head bolts and I blew a gasket. I have no one to blame but myself for that. Strange how most guys that complain about blowing head gaskets don't look at it that way.

Well there is also 6.6 Dmaxs and 6.7 Cummins with HG failures too, its all EGR failure related and even poor design of the EGR system in diesel aplications.

4cstr

Reaction score
If I had to do it all over again...I would have waited to find a 7.3L Excursion rather than buying our 04 Excursion...but 7.3 Ex's are very hard to find without a million miles on them or beat to death.

Once we did the motor work and I got some tuning issues straightened out...its been running flawlessly. But...this summer we shopped around to trade vehicles...and the 6L has such a piss poor rep that I had dealers low ball me to the point of insulting me...or just flat out tell me they didn't want it.

AllanB

Reaction score
Well there is also 6.6 Dmaxs and 6.7 Cummins with HG failures too, its all EGR failure related and even poor design of the EGR system in diesel aplications.

You might be right. But with the EGR deleted, I wonder how much HP the stock head bolts and gaskets would take.

Reaction score

That my friends you are excactly right. At the ford dealerships we would get the customers that were so pissed! and you would ask them what were you doing, pulling? Normal driving? and even had a guy say he was trying to race a dodge, but was mad cuz his truck started smoking at 130! And he was running a superchips on race. its hard trying to get some drivers to understand how programmers arent majic in a box, and can cause damge if you dont have the proper parts to back it up.