its FICM time

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
keep getting 0611 DTC and I have a intermittent idle issue that is very hard to explain. anyway work has been good and I have a couple hundred extra AR lowers to build so I have extra cash and want an upgrade. I know that the FICM will hurt the injectors and I just installed the injectors so I will pay to upgrade the FICM before I tear the top end apart again.

so school me on this, as I just know the basics.,

questions I have are.

send FICM to someone and have them do it?

are there DIY kits for the power side?

48V vs 58V?

will tuning the FICM help even with customs tunes and the stuff in my sig?

will my tuner have to adjust to the FICM tune?

Pizza pig runs the PHP economy tune and loves it, why is that? why not the bigger tunes?

who do I go with and if vendors want, shoot me a PM. I have to put a fuel system on hold until I get this done. but if the price is right, I could still swing both I think so let me know ..

Snake

Reaction score
If you want the best FICM available, check out the 6 phase from Bulletproof Diesel.

Ford diesel girl

Reaction score
what do you actually gain with the 6 phase?

You'll have the ability to switch to a 53 or 58 volt FICM. This helps with fuel mileage, injectors, better idling etc. the extra is nice, especially if you put the Atlas 40 tune on it.

Sent from my nerd lab

weazel

Reaction score
Big fan of my atlas 80 tune, I got that right after I got the very same code, I have no experience with 48 vs 58 volt stuff, but I did have mine rebuilt and the above mentioned tune added, truck improved off idle response and all around drives better, no super huge power gain but it certainly drives better.

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Is ithe atlas tune comparable with bigger injectors?

I am looking at the BPD FICM as it is a prebuilt one and I won't have a ton of down time. But swamps has the ability to throw the tune on and rebuild it but there is a longer lead time.

Snake

Reaction score
You'll have the ability to switch to a 53 or 58 volt FICM. This helps with fuel mileage, injectors, better idling etc. the extra is nice, especially if you put the Atlas 40 tune on it.

Sent from my nerd lab

Yep! And you also get two redundant / back up circuits for increased reliability

Mdub707

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb was the generic FICM tunes do not work well with anything larger than a stock nozzle size. I think you could probably get one that does work but you would definitely need to talk to your tuner about this and you would likely want your PCM tuning and your FICM tuning from the same guy.

The BPD units are really nice.

I've also repaired dozens of FICMs and had no issues once repaired either. If you're handy with a solder gun you can fix it yourself.

Ford diesel girl

Reaction score
I meant compatible.

Looks like BPD will be getting a call from me tomorrow. Need this by Sunday.

;) Yes, give them a call! Everyone there is super helpful; if you let them know you need it PDQ, they are pretty accommodating with that kind of thing.

Yep! And you also get two redundant / back up circuits for increased reliability

Yup!!

The general rule of thumb was the generic FICM tunes do not work well with anything larger than a stock nozzle size. I think you could probably get one that does work but you would definitely need to talk to your tuner about this and you would likely want your PCM tuning and your FICM tuning from the same guy.

The BPD units are really nice.

I've also repaired dozens of FICMs and had no issues once repaired either. If you're handy with a solder gun you can fix it yourself.

:thumbup:

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
My vote goes to Swamps 58v. Had the PHP 100hp tune on it which made my truck idle like hell with my big injectors. Now have a ficm tune from IDP on it and it runs awesome. The 58v definitely woke the truck up a bit, much better throttle response.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Sadly I can't wait to ship it out and wait for it to come back. I have my oldest with me this week and next and the Harley isn't a good option. Lol. Swamps was my first site I visited but they have no cores to send out.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Sadly I can't wait to ship it out and wait for it to come back. I have my oldest with me this week and next and the Harley isn't a good option. Lol. Swamps was my first site I visited but they have no cores to send out.

ahh thats right. I did just hear that from someone else this week that they had none to ship right away

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Just metered the FICM. Reads 46.5 a 47.6 while it's making the injectors clatter. When that stops it goes to 47.9 and no higher.

Why would it throw a code but be within specs? I cleared the code and it comes right back.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Just metered the FICM. Reads 46.5 a 47.6 while it's making the injectors clatter. When that stops it goes to 47.9 and no higher.

Why would it throw a code but be within specs? I cleared the code and it comes right back.

How healthy are your batteries? Every time I talk to someone with FICM issues, I always recommend having batteries individually load tested BEFORE looking at the FICM. Weak batteries will put a lot of extra stress on the FICM.

With that said, it is definitely possible for the voltages to read good and it still be bad, albeit very unlikely.

I have some that read perfect 48+ in all three conditions, but the truck wont start if the temp is less than 60*....

How does the truck actually run, despite the codes? Start easy when cold? Any smoke when it fires up? Has any work been done recently in that area? May not hurt to just unplug and re-plug those three big plugs on the bottom of the FICM. If one is just a hair loose it will cause all sorts of funny issues, and still read good voltages.

Latest posts

Members online