***kkkkked......manifold issues

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Yeah I'm kinda thinking complete motor swap. Although with a 95 in the shop in the middle of being rebuilt I don't have time for it on top of 6 classes next semester.

Guy I bought it from has a Nasty habit of not washing chit.

He bought it brand new and let it get this bad. Like how do you allow that to happen on what was a $45k truck?

Truck has a new oil pan. As in brand new. And a fresh transmission. It currently has 149k on it.

I'm undecided what to do currently, truck needs a motor basically. Or at least a short block. Needs ball joints, shocks and tie rods.

I'm into it for short money and my buddy offered me a few hundred more than I paid. It's a 4x4 also.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Heads are roughly 110 each (measured on a bathroom scale).
Pulling the heads isn't too bad. At least on the OBS it can be done with the turbo still on the engine. Just did them on my '97 this past summer when a couple GP tips got stuck. Heater box, alternator bracket, A/C pump and down-pipe had to be removed. This could all be different on a SD though.
I'm sure having the extra width of the manifolds on there still isn't going to make it any easier.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yeah I'm kinda thinking complete motor swap. Although with a 95 in the shop in the middle of being rebuilt I don't have time for it on top of 6 classes next semester.

Guy I bought it from has a Nasty habit of not washing chit.

He bought it brand new and let it get this bad. Like how do you allow that to happen on what was a $45k truck?

Truck has a new oil pan. As in brand new. And a fresh transmission. It currently has 149k on it.

I'm undecided what to do currently, truck needs a motor basically. Or at least a short block. Needs ball joints, shocks and tie rods.

I'm into it for short money and my buddy offered me a few hundred more than I paid. It's a 4x4 also.

i have heads if your interested???

GreenMachine

Reaction score
thats the joy of a snow plow truck I'd take a good hard look at the frame too.

The Frame on the truck is solid believe it or not. The dump body needs some work as you can imagine what the salt did to that also. But it is power up and power down and is functional.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
i have heads if your interested???

I was thinking this, but does anyone see a issue with putting new(er) heads on this motor?

As in will i blow the bottom end out of her within the next few months by putting different heads on?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about tightening the top end up and then blowing the bottom end, or vice versa.

My only issue is lack of time really. Next semester will be starting before I know it and this truck will need attention. It will be one thing after another for a little while im sure.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I was thinking this, but does anyone see a issue with putting new(er) heads on this motor?

As in will i blow the bottom end out of her within the next few months by putting different heads on?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about tightening the top end up and then blowing the bottom end, or vice versa.

My only issue is lack of time really. Next semester will be starting before I know it and this truck will need attention. It will be one thing after another for a little while im sure.

keep the work area clean, and you will be fine. i would tell you what i would do, but all the internet nazis will start another pissing match. so i will leave the procedures up to you.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
keep the work area clean, and you will be fine. i would tell you what i would do, but all the internet nazis will start another pissing match. so i will leave the procedures up to you.

Feel free........Im open to all kinds of suggestions and ideas at this point.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Head =250lbs,iirc. No joke moving one.of.those.

I would try to.get them out. If you are.going to have to buy new cylinder heads anyway, then give it a.shot. Take the wire.wheel to the rusty mess.and.then heat them ***kers up. When they are hot, hit em with penetrant.

I just looked at your photos....holy fugg. You might have to start.over, you're.right. Those.are.***kin gone.

Sure? They didn't seem that heavy when I was working on a spare motor a few years back. Maybe 100lbs each? 250 for a pair.

I'm down to 185 and I had them off the motor and onto the bench w/o any issue. Heavy but no 250 heavy.

Be careful w/ the hot surface and penetrant. I was stoopid enough to do that a few times and PB blaster and wd both "evaporated" with a small flash :D

davey99ps

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about hurting anything in the bottom end because of a head swap as long as you don't drop anything inside the motor. It's a b!tch to do it in-frame, but I've pulled heads with the motor still in the truck. It's really a toss up I guess, pulling the motor will take a little longer but make things a lot easier than doing it in the truck.

Arisley

Reaction score
From the looks of that motor, it might be a good idea to pull it and swap it. Lot less trouble. Replace the oil pan and motor mounts while there.

Latest posts

Members online