Knocking under acceleration.

chongzilla

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an e99 7.3 cclb 4x4 with 286k miles on it.

Recently I starred noticing hard starts, rough running and light blue haze upon start up when cold. I changed the fuel filter but it was still acting up. I had it scanned at a local shop and they suggested I replace the cps. That cleared it up as far as the rough running at speed but it still has blue haze on cold startup and now I hear a knocking sound while applying throttle. It's most noticeable around 1700rpm and it's intermittent. That is to say it doesn't sound like it follows any pattern but I do hear it every time I drive the truck. I don't notice a loss in power and it almost clears up when I put the throttle down to the floor but it's still there. When I let off of the throttle completely it's gone. There is no smoke under any normal driving. Just when I start it cold. After it's warm I'm back to normal as far as the starts are concerned and the knock seems to get slightly better. I changed from 15w to rotella t6 which is 5w and that seems to have made it worse.

I am thinking maybe injectors or fuel pick up issues but the smokey cold starts makes me lean toward injectors.

I've only had this truck for six months and I know nothing about its past but I've also put over 12k worry free miles on it so far. The ECM looks like it has been chipped before.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chongzilla

Reaction score
Well crap. I don't know how I managed to post this in the 6.0 tech. Any mods on here that can fix this?

My bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
You should be able to go to thread tools and move it to the 7.3 section.it sounds like you have one or more bad injectors. You probably need to find a reputable shop near you to check it out, unless you have access to a scanner and are mechanically inclined.

chongzilla

Reaction score
I tried to find a way to move the post in the thread tools but there was no option for it.

No scanner but I am mechanically inclined. What kind of a test should I have the shop run? They buzz tested them last time and they all sounded

Latest posts

Members online