Ladder bar Question

windrunner408

Reaction score
So I bought some these like 4 years ago, back when I had a Jeep CJ7 that I was going to do a link suspension on. http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XM-1214-78-w-34-ball-CrMo-rod-end-w-kevlar-liner-_p_1423.html

Well anyways I ended up selling my Jeep :doh::doh: but I at least kept the truck :redspotdance::redspotdance:

So I dug 6 of these out of a box and said why dont I use these to make some ladder bars to help with my wheel hop??

My question is, I have tube adapters to fit inside a 1in ID tubing and I was thinking about using 1.5in OD x 1in ID DOM tubing but am not sure if that is large enough tubing or should I go with something larger?? I do plan to use these with a 6in lift with 37in tires within the next year.

Also, any sponsors out there have any bracketry??

DBQLSC

Reaction score
That size tubing is great plenty for a ladder bar just make sure that your coping between the pieces fits nice and tight. I don't know what welding procedure you are going to do on them, but in the past after tigging them with root and cap, I chased the threads just to check distortion. I don't know of anyone other than ballistic or speedway for brackets. For something one-off pm bucky685, that guy is a god at cadd.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Those are the ones I had looked at using they are nice for sure! Don't really have much ton add but good luck on building them! Post up some pics when you get them going

windrunner408

Reaction score
That size tubing is great plenty for a ladder bar just make sure that your coping between the pieces fits nice and tight. I don't know what welding procedure you are going to do on them, but in the past after tigging them with root and cap, I chased the threads just to check distortion. I don't know of anyone other than ballistic or speedway for brackets. For something one-off pm bucky685, that guy is a god at cadd.

Thanks man. Glad to hear that is enough. I dont have the tubing yet but I do have the tube adapters and didnt really want to have to buy new ones.

Ruff stuff specialties is a good place for brackets

Thanks man I'll check them out.

Those are the ones I had looked at using they are nice for sure! Don't really have much ton add but good luck on building them! Post up some pics when you get them going

Will do.

chappy

Reaction score
Yep ruffstuffspecialties is the place to get that stuff. They sell the dom tubing in the size you need for $45 for a 5ft chunk. They sell in 6in increments. They sell the brackets and ends and all that fun stuff. They have good stuff and good prices.

Steelnc

Reaction score
At what point/hp wise should one start to look into this? Thought about it some but i have atleast another $2,500 in a turbo, intercooler, and intake first.

chappy

Reaction score
I'd say with just a tuner you should run them. If the truck has larger then stock tires then it should also even stock. I nticed with the one piece drive shafts,the trucks eat up the rear u joint a lot with out bars from the axle wrap.

05wh250

Reaction score
One of the cheapest mods ive done so far. I used shock mounts on the axle, and some frame mounts ruff stuff had. Got about $150.00 in mine including paint. I could tell a huge difference in mine towing on hard stops.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have an ECSB 350 leveled 2.5" in front, and I have serious axel wrap, and shifts real hard, its very noticeable, I say you need bars before a turbo. Im having custom bars built right now, should be here next week. Every truck should have these IMO

windrunner408

Reaction score
I think there is a misconception here. I am not really looking for input on what type of rod ends to use as I have what is shown below in the pictures and I would like to not buy any new ones if I dont have to. Now if the consensus is that these wont work, then please let me know. I was just mostly concerned if the 1.5in diameter by .25in wall thickness DOM tubing would be sufficient for some ladder bar construction, since that is the size tubing that has a 1in inner diameter. I guess I could get some 2in OD x .5in wall thickness but that seems excessive to me and some seem to think the 1.5in OD tubing will be sufficient. I plan to use two joints on the axle end and one joint on the frame end of each of the ladder bars. Thanks again for all the input so far.

I didnt take any pics of the misalignment spacers but they make the total width 1.75in and those joints in the link above are 2.63in wide and that is what the frame brackets are made for as well. So I will probably have to fabricate my own frame mounts.

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Betarocker

Reaction score
My opinion is that Heim type rod ends are not the correct part for constructing traction bars on a leaf spring suspension. I have had floating traction bars using the same type of rod ends, and they didn't last very long.

Rod ends can be used for a link type suspension design, but those are too small for a vehicle as large and powerful as a Superduty.

Oh, and this thread isn't in the right section.

Latest posts

Members online