latest 6.7 scoop

broncof250444

Reaction score
Ive always found it interesting what dealerships find wrong with different vehicles versus independent shops. The dealer local to us claims they change a 6.4 engine atleast once a week. Yet all the issues they claim 6.4s have we have yet to come across in all the 6.4 work we do. I do agree that the 6.4 in stock form well just plain sucks. But once deleted, tuned and not beat on terribly they seem to be really reliable in my opinion.

I worked in a big dealership in the fort worth metroplex and between us 6 diesel techs we average 5 6.4's motors a week with window blocks, snapped cranks, melted pistons and washed out cylinders. Even here in my own shop we do the same kind of work on the 6.4's so far.

I just have to say 6.4's failure points make my new house and 2012 truck payment every month, been that way since the 6.4's hit the lot back in 2007!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
IMO a deleted 6.4 is more reliable than a 6.7 modded or not. I've seen stock 6.7s crapping rods out. The injection problems with the 6.4's can be traced back to the regeneration process. Mines been deleted since day one and has over 186K on it.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
I worked in a big dealership in the fort worth metroplex and between us 6 diesel techs we average 5 6.4's motors a week with window blocks, snapped cranks, melted pistons and washed out cylinders. Even here in my own shop we do the same kind of work on the 6.4's so far.

I just have to say 6.4's failure points make my new house and 2012 truck payment every month, been that way since the 6.4's hit the lot back in 2007!

Not doubting you one bit. Just never seen any of it around us. Any idea what was breaking the cranks and bending rods. Not trying to call you out just interested in your findings.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
IMO a deleted 6.4 is more reliable than a 6.7 modded or not. I've seen stock 6.7s crapping rods out. The injection problems with the 6.4's can be traced back to the regeneration process. Mines been deleted since day one and has over 186K on it.

This Is debatable. I haven't done anything but put a couple turbos on pick up 6.7's. everyone loves them.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
This Is debatable. I haven't done anything but put a couple turbos on pick up 6.7's. everyone loves them.

Everyone will like one over another, I'm just speaking for what I have seen. They are nice truck, reliability won't really be known till there are some high mileage ones out there. But its a fact that if you want to make power you better plan on having a nice set of rods put in it.

Whytry

Reaction score
I work at an international dealer and the 6.4/6.7 is a maxxforce 7 to us and they go through turbos and crack hpfp causing it to build oil. Also we have a lot of doc clogging problems. I havnt done much egr cooler replacements just a couple. Have done a couple engines not many though

broncof250444

Reaction score
Not doubting you one bit. Just never seen any of it around us. Any idea what was breaking the cranks and bending rods. Not trying to call you out just interested in your findings.

Crankshafts dont really know to be honest beside the spun rod or main bearings causing it or just bad crankshaft. bending rods and melted pistons are due manily to fuel injectors sticking or turbo going out feeding the intake with oil and hydro locking them.

Yeah it is funny that how one area doesnt seen the same results as another one does in shops and dealerships. always wondered myself why that is.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I think ALL of the problems with the 6.4 come from the fuel side and regen process. Whether it be washing cylinder walls and diluting oil during regen or sh1ty fuel quality that seems to be rampant in the lower 48. I know of zero HPFP/Fuel system failures in my area. Canadian fuel seems to be dryer then in the states.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Only HPFP failures I have seen have been from contamination or corrosion but never just a out and out failure from design alone.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
Everyone will like one over another, I'm just speaking for what I have seen. They are nice truck, reliability won't really be known till there are some high mileage ones out there. But its a fact that if you want to make power you better plan on having a nice set of rods put in it.

From what I've seen reliability goes to 6.7... Ours has 100K+ and only had one turbo. Been an amazing truck tuned and deleted for most of it. All in all there both good trucks. Just have some of those 6.4 nut swingers that get annoying cause there are other motors out there. Not saying your one

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
From what I've seen reliability goes to 6.7... Ours has 100K+ and only had one turbo. Been an amazing truck tuned and deleted for most of it. All in all there both good trucks. Just have some of those 6.4 nut swingers that get annoying cause there are other motors out there. Not saying your one

:morons:

All I know is I love my 6.7. Its gonna stay Stock except for the AFE filter I installed and my future lift... Fords gonna fix it FO' FREE the rest of the time I have it cause the lifetime powertrain warranty...Personally I don't see how I could have gone wrong? If I ever do change my mind on more power which is very doubtful, I would def. consider a well reputable tune and a set of rods and rod bolts.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
:morons:

All I know is I love my 6.7. Its gonna stay Stock except for the AFE filter I installed and my future lift... Fords gonna fix it FO' FREE the rest of the time I have it cause the lifetime powertrain warranty...Personally I don't see how I could have gone wrong? If I ever do change my mind on more power which is very doubtful, I would def. consider a well reputable tune and a set of rods and rod bolts.

how did you manage a lifetime powertrain warranty?

mines only good for 200k.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
If I was going to drive a bone stock truck, I'd have a 6.7 over a 6.4. If I am going to modify a truck and try to make big power with it, I'd have a 6.4 over a 6.7. I think that's pretty much something no one would argue.

I also don't doubt that there are a lot of STOCK 6.4's failing out there. Give the 6.7 some more time. There will be plenty I'm sure. I hope it's not the high rate that has been seen from the 6.0 and 6.4, but the failures will be there.

My truck (6.4) has 138,000 miles on it and has been problem free since 68,000 miles. Before then, I had quite a few issues.

Latest posts

Members online