Let's get this thing running better.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
Ok, I may have missed it......but was the CEL a 1211? If so, you guys do understand that typically if ICP reaches the pumps maximum output and can't keep up, the computer raises pulse width to try and compensate for the pressure loss, right?

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I'm right. Check into it.

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Going to talk with Justin first about tuning out the CEL but then also getting a fooler to protect the map sensor itself. I know Justin was wanting to live tune my truck but I haven't been able to get down there, and it's not not even that far.

Don't feel bad, he's waiting on me too and I live 20 mins from him. LOL

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ok, I may have missed it......but was the CEL a 1211? If so, you guys do understand that typically if ICP reaches the pumps maximum output and can't keep up, the computer raises pulse width to try and compensate for the pressure loss, right?

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I'm right. Check into it.

@the experts

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
If it did anything, it would make more sense to cut pulse width back to maintain pressure. But the PCM isn't smart enough to do either.
Wrong. If your pushing the throttle and ICP doesn't meet commanded pressure, the PCM should increase pulse width in the attempt to provide the fuel demand. I'm just going off memory.........from the guy tuning my truck sitting in the passenger seat.....years ago.

Of course, you'll only see it for a few seconds.....once the SES light trips and throws a 1211, that stupid PCM limits ICP to 2475 psi @ WOT....LOL

That outdated PCM is pretty smart, for a dinosaur.LOL

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
You show me some datalogging to back this statement up, and I'll agree. Till then, I'm gonna go with no. Increasing pulse width isn't gonna do anything but lower Icp even more.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
Ok......I would have to use my tuning software....and I just don't have the time....

And, I can't get mine to have an ICP problem, because all my 7.3's have enough oil to avoid the 1211.

So.....with that.....carry on.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Alright so my boost code is gone, Justin hooked it up with a resistor so no more CEL @ 23 PSI. So she pulled right on through now, so much better.

I have however stumbled across what I think is trans slippage. In daily tune if I go roll into hard enough she'll downshift, grab a gear, than she'll hit redline while making no power to the ground. Same as everything else on the truck. It either has over 200k on it or 90k(i bought it with 130k and know of no service history). I'll post the video shortly, but I feel besides under these conditions my trans is very strong. I'm hoping this is an issue that a valve body can correct. The fluid is never burnt and never dirty, I change it every year.... I do think it is the beginning of the end but whatever I can do to not down the truck right now at this point.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I'd use a pressure tester to make sure your pressures are good, if they are, you need a rebuild my friend...

Gear - - Idle - - Stall
P,N - - 50-65 - - --------
R - - 70-100 - - 220-240
OD/M2 - 50-65 - 136-156
M - - 70-115 - - 175-210

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Can I view these PIDs via IDS or is a mechanical gauge setup needed?

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
You're only going to be able to see PIDS of solenoids going on/off iirc. A mechanical gauge hooked into the test port (where most of us install a temp gauge) will get you accurate readings.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Since it only does this in a tune, should I be testing stock?

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Stock would give you baseline data. After that go to the tune and perform test again, mostly likely you'll see some changes in line pressure, but it might give you a better understanding of the health of the v.b. and fluid side of things. If things check out then dropping the pan may give you final call on if the clutches are shot.

Whats the condition of the fluid now? Smell burnt? Color? Level? My guess is the clutches in the overdrive clutch or direct/forward drive clutch are failing...

Latest posts

Members online