Let's spitball... 7.3 with shorter stroke?

Petro

Reaction score
With all the testing and custom common rail work swamps did, was anything ever released to the public? For a couple years there I was patiently waiting for news on the CR 7.3 to be out and running, but it never came.

superpsd

Reaction score
With all the testing and custom common rail work swamps did, was anything ever released to the public? For a couple years there I was patiently waiting for news on the CR 7.3 to be out and running, but it never came.

If you have deep pockets I am sure they can build you one. Pretty sure its a build to customers demands kindof thing. I was kicking the can of figuring out a way to run a 6.7 on 7.3 electronics. I talked briefly to swamps and they told me they could build me a IDM8 to fire the piezo injectors. I have shelved the thought of the idea for now and would likely just use a 6.7 harness to make it happen. There was a 7.3 commonrail kit for sale a while ago at a major discount on here. Not sure if it ever sold or not. The guy did a complete block fill and could no longer use the commonrail.

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
Not trying to take this thread off course, but on the topic of head flow numbers. What are some rough stock or stage 1 flow numbers of the 4 powerstroke engines? Looks like the 7.3 is about 300cfm, so what is 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7?

ja_cain

Reaction score
If you have deep pockets I am sure they can build you one. Pretty sure its a build to customers demands kindof thing. I was kicking the can of figuring out a way to run a 6.7 on 7.3 electronics. I talked briefly to swamps and they told me they could build me a IDM8 to fire the piezo injectors. I have shelved the thought of the idea for now and would likely just use a 6.7 harness to make it happen. There was a 7.3 commonrail kit for sale a while ago at a major discount on here. Not sure if it ever sold or not. The guy did a complete block fill and could no longer use the commonrail.

I'll find out tomorrow how many cr setups they have sold. That's a cool idea to use a custom idm to run the piezo's on a 6.7. Those guys are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Not trying to take this thread off course, but on the topic of head flow numbers. What are some rough stock or stage 1 flow numbers of the 4 powerstroke engines? Looks like the 7.3 is about 300cfm, so what is 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7?
I'm half tempted to build my own flow bench. Lord knows I have enough rotometers kicking around to kill an elephant. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Psduser, why would you want a shorter rod?

After I read my post, too late to edit, I realized what you were saying. Head inverted statement.
Shorter throw on the crank which could require a longer rod.

Nevermind me, I'll be over here in my corner, not paying attention.:eek:

golfer

Reaction score
Not trying to take this thread off course, but on the topic of head flow numbers....

on our cylinder head flow bench, a 6.4L head flows about 60% more CFM than a 7.3L head...stock to stock

HEUI is definitely an issue wrt to performance...but unless you want to run a solid/no coolant (7.3L) head, going to common rail isn't a gain.

if you want to run coolant in your 7.3L heads (ie, our CNC ported), you'd still be short on CFM compared to a stock 6.0/6.4L

it's a real nut kicker.

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance golfer, I'm not trying to sound like a smart a$$. I have an honest question.... How are the 7.3 heads feeding mechanical pump equipped engines with enough air to make big house numbers if they don't flow alot?

PDT1081

Reaction score
if you want to run coolant in your 7.3L heads (ie, our CNC ported), you'd still be short on CFM compared to a stock 6.0/6.4L

it's a real nut kicker.

Forgive my ignorance golfer, I'm not trying to sound like a smart a$$. I have an honest question.... How are the 7.3 heads feeding mechanical pump equipped engines with enough air to make big house numbers if they don't flow alot?

Pretty sure he's giving you a big hint right there.

gwunter

Reaction score
I think he had a reasonable question. Look at double overtime or the cutting edge mustang. I think those are still running stock cast heads, obviously not stock flowing heads, but they appear to be factory heads at their core.

Reaction score
Here's some more things I had cross my mind about this hypothetical. Iirc, you can bore a 7.3 .040 over and buy stock style pistons. Now if you were to place the head on the block with a couple bolts and turn the block over on an engine stand with no other internals, mark the upper parts of the cylinder where the valve is closest to. The next part I thought about was trying to figure out a way to see the highest point of travel your top piston ring would have, say split that measurement in half, and then "chamfer" the top part of the cylinder wall a little to help with valve unshrouding or would this be a frugal attempt?