Let's talk about a custom front 4 link...

bkingsoda

Reaction score
So... I'm tired of front wheel hop. Starting to look at the possibility of build my own 4 link. I've been reading a lot about them. Cheap kit is $900 and I just can't bring myself to that. So I'm thinking poly bushings at the axle, 2" .250 wall DOM for the bars, and heims at the frame. My only question is about the bracket at the frame. Can I use the factory radius arm mount and just add a mount for the upper bar or do I need to come up with a whole new bracket? Has anyone tried this? Is it worth the effort? Bar length? Space between bars? Guessing that number would be distance between the factory axle mounts. Pictures, thoughts, and advice welcome. I'm in the Houston Tx area so local help would be a plus. I'm thinking if I could figure out one truck, there could be a template made for anyone else interested. Found all of what I think I need at Ballistic Fab.

Layson

Reaction score
There was a used Icon kit on here for sale for a good price.

I can't imagine that it would be worth the effort to build your own. You also don't want to be running heim joints either. They are going to be clunking.... it is a POS joint. If you mess up the geometry your steering wheel is going to be bouncing all over the place at each bump. You don't want to be driving down the highway with your family in the truck and completely lose control if you hit a bump.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I built mine back in 06 when there wasn't a lot to be had . I have about what you could pay for one in it and did all the work myself .

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Yeah... The more I'm looking into it, the more I realize it won't be worth the effort. Looks like I'm just going to have to save my pennies and try to get a short arm kit from PMF. Really wanted to build one, but its too touchy to chance. Just got mad about wheel hop with the sled hooked up. Couldn't even come close to putting the power to the ground. Crappy feeling! :doh:

Derkperk

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing man. I built my traction bars out of 2" DOM and figured I could do a 4 link too but it seems a little more to it than just a basic traction bar. Let is know if you find a good deal!

Latest posts

Members online