Let's talk stacks...

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
So I was against stacks, and still partially am. Not that I think they are stupid but I just don't want a set of Aussie stacks sticking way out side of the truck drawing all kinds of unneeded attention because it's still my family hauler. But with the tuning I have its a little smokey down low. I try to stay out of the throttle but it still can be a bit much. I don't wanna be that guy clouding the intersection so I was thinking a single stack kit that will just put it up away from everyone else. Looking for the easy ways to do it and not trying to spend a ton. My plan is for the winter months to switch back and just plate the bed back off. Any suggestions or ideas would help!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
My suggestion? Don't do it.
If you want your roof and bed constantly covered in soot and are ready to give up having a conversation when you're driving then OK....otherwise leave it alone and get a tune that doesn't smoke as bad.

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
That is a good point it's a white truck too. Don't necessarily need the spot covered look lol

ToMang07

Reaction score
If you want your roof and bed constantly covered in soot and are ready to give up having a conversation when you're driving then OK....otherwise leave it alone and get a tune that doesn't smoke as bad.

^WHS.

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
So then let's reroute and discuss can I still got the bottom end power without the smoke

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Telling people what you're working with will help get you answers

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense haha. Stock everything except ARPs on a set of promaxx heads SPD tune from TSD.

Reaction score
I ran a miter stack for over a year. Made it a little louder inside, kept the truck dirty even with me washing it once a week.
Loved the look but I recently took it out because I got tired of the soot.
The stack would still smoke a intersection especially the cars directly behind you lol.
Want to do a axle dump but with my 03 turbo might be a bit too loud

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
Yeah I miss my 03 turbo but I want to not put the smoke in people's cars. With 8" lift I should be able to get it up away from them. Axle dump might work but I'm afraid that it is still right in the face of the driver .

dsberman94

Reaction score
Axle dump it and be done. If your worried about it being loud grab a muffler to fit in before the axle. Smoke sits on the ground and sinks in fast. Doesn't go in windows and it's even not that bad for people on motorcycles like stacks are.

But if you wanted to run stacks and keep the cab quiet you could always buy the stacks, then buy 200sqft of dynamat. Then strip your interior out and cover the entire interior with a single layer and do a double layer on the back wall. It helps, as long as you keep the windows up. Keeps most of the noises out actually.

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I've had a stack on my E99 and put the tip of the stack above the cab and it kept the noise down in the cab

I have a 7" miter on my 6.7 now with the tip above the cab to keep noise down.

Neither trucks were to loud to have conversations inside

But fix your smoke issue

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
I didn't think I would have this problem I mean I don't gun it at the lights. I have all the receipts from previous owner from head gaskets and everything else I would think that if it had bigger sticks i would have been given the receipts for that too. I was shocked as to how much it smoked and really don't like it. I have to ease in to the throttle enough to where it is annoying to make sure that it doesn't. I mean it's not enough smoke to stop traffic just way more than I wanted or expected. It's not too loud so I don't need the muffler but I think I am just going to do the axle dump. I might have given the wrong impression on how much smoke is coming out it is just way more than I want

Stroke2broke

Reaction score
To the big fuel guys the smoke I'm talking about is nothing it's just going from nothing to more than I expected after the tunes I was a little shocked I guess I just need to stay out of the throttle more

johnp115

Reaction score
Axle dump it and be done. If your worried about it being loud grab a muffler to fit in before the axle. Smoke sits on the ground and sinks in fast. Doesn't go in windows and it's even not that bad for people on motorcycles like stacks are.

But if you wanted to run stacks and keep the cab quiet you could always buy the stacks, then buy 200sqft of dynamat. Then strip your interior out and cover the entire interior with a single layer and do a double layer on the back wall. It helps, as long as you keep the windows up. Keeps most of the noises out actually.

Have you ever had an axle dump?

An axle dump with a smokey setup is the worst to have if you're concerned about annoying others. It puts the thick smoke right there on the asphalt before it has any time to dilute and clear up with the air.

My suggestion is look into custom tuning or getting whatever tunes you have revised. Or your truck may have a mechanical problem if it's not the tuning.

Idk if you've said in here what truck you have/ what your setup is but if you tell us Im sure we can point you in the direction of a very clean and powerful setup. My 6.4 ran 12.7's with no smoke. Only a haze right at the line, and I mean haze like it was gone in a second. While other trucks smoke the whole track and don't even touch 13's

Six_Sloww

Reaction score

X3

I switch between a stack and an axle dump the stack is definitely less offensive to other drivers but I end up with a truck that is never clean, and although it sounds great it's stupid loud in the cab.

The axle dump is overall better for daily driving in my opinion.. When it comes down to it if I hammer on the go pedal at the wrong time the person behind me is gonna have a bad time either way, I just save it for appropriate times.

Oh and dynomat won't do anything unless you want to put it over your back glass..

Latest posts

Members online