Lifter questions.....

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
My buddy has a 03 6.0 141K miles on it......claims he was just idling in the Burger King drive thru and "all of sudden" the truck started missing. Had the dealer hook up the computer and they said it was #8 cylinder misfire, recommended an injector, said it would be $500.......told him thats ridiculous bring it to me and I'll get it done.

Crack open the valve cover and I find these guys out of place on #8....

f2502_zpsa305a5bc.jpg

He gave me the go ahead to tear it down......I find this

lifter_zps5b95f505.jpg

Oddly enough, the broken push rod cam from the lifter that looks fine.....here's video

http://vid187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/TwinTurboStroker/lifterspin_zps8d864a04.mp4

Took the heads to the machine shop and they pressure tested fine and no bent valves, cam looks like its scored a bit, looks worse than it feels......anyway, can or have lifters just gone down or go bad to cause this? Is it more than likely from an over rev or is there something else I should check out??? Thanks!

sootie

Reaction score
common failure point on 6.4's didnt see as many 6.o's . usually wipes the cam out. just had a friend of mines 2010 harley do this two weeks ago with 100k miles on it.

sootie

Reaction score
Im not knowledgeable enough to comment on that one...

i do know that a drop in stage 1 cam will be equivalent or cheaper than an OEM one though...

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
Im not knowledgeable enough to comment on that one...

i do know that a drop in stage 1 cam will be equivalent or cheaper than an OEM one though...

Yea I saw that.....I would if it was for me, but its for a buddy and he's on a tight budget

i would replace the cam. that's what toasted creampie's first motor.
Word....

Anyone have any leads on short/long blocks they want to get rid of???