List what you would do.

strokedout6.4

Reaction score
Still lost on what to do... I want to put a single turbo kit and new up pipes on my truck for sure and I don't have the time to do it myself so i will be taking it to a shop. I have to keep my budget below 5k. So with adding in a single turbo kit and new up pipes what else would you do and remember labor will be thrown in there too from the shop I choose.

cbrown

Reaction score
Not gonna happen for under 5k if you want to do it right. What are the current mods to the truck as it sits now?

6.4f350

Reaction score
I don't think you'll get uppipes, a single kit, and install for under $5,000.

strokedout6.4

Reaction score
All the ******s done and a S&B CAI and I've had two reputable shops give me a quote of under 5k for the H&S kit and MBRP up pipes Morgan's shop quoted me right around 4500 or 4600$ for that setup but his kits with an s300 series charger are a grand cheaper so I was wondering the route some of you guys would take.

Rubenk

Reaction score
If the truck runs then don't waste your time and money. Save up more and do it all at once.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Dont forget you'll need custom tunes, which can be up to another 1500-2k depending on the deal and what you already have.

cbrown

Reaction score
Studs and gaskets? That will put you over 5k. What's your goal with the truck. A small single will hardly net any hp gains, and lose some drivability. To me, a couple grand for 50hp and being easier to work on is idiotic.

Reaction score
Studs and gaskets? That will put you over 5k. What's your goal with the truck. A small single will hardly net any hp gains, and lose some drivability. To me, a couple grand for 50hp and being easier to work on is idiotic.

For what it's worth, we've got over 100 of these kits out and haven't heard from anyone having gasket failures. Not saying it doesn't and won't happen but, getting rid of the factory, drive pressure plagued turbos has a lot to do with it.

Also, our kit is available with the 66 and 69 SX-E turbos which make great power and drive well for a single turbo application if you want more power than the 64. I will agree that the factory turbos make respectable power but, that comes at a price if they fail or cause other parts to fail.

To me, a couple grand for 50 hp and not having to work on it, is logical.

RSK

Reaction score
if you are near midwest auto and diesel, i'd feel comfortable dropping the truck off to them to have them do the work, i'd do hd up pipes at a minimum, if the truck is an 08 i'd replace the rocker arms, and do hd push rods too...fuel bowl ****** would be nice if its not done yet, and add an a1000 fuel system to the mix, probably change out all the front accessories if the cab is coming up, or the serpentine belt at minimum if not all the pulley's and tensioners on the motor, and anything else that might be a bitch to do when the cab is down

RSK

Reaction score
change out the cab mount bushings as well if you have some miles on your truck, that will help prevent the radiator from leaking.

cbrown

Reaction score
. I will agree that the factory turbos make respectable power but, that comes at a price if they fail or cause other parts to fail.

To me, a couple grand for 50 hp and not having to work on it, is logical.

And I fully understand and agree with that. Especially the not having to work on it. But if the turbos on the truck are working now, why work on it? I guess that's the point I was trying to make, if it's working fine now, why spend 5k on it for minimal gain? If the turbos were shot and you weren't looking for more hp, absolutely the h&s kit hands down

Im actually in that situation right now with one of my trucks....I just want more hp

strokedout6.4

Reaction score
if you are near midwest auto and diesel, i'd feel comfortable dropping the truck off to them to have them do the work, i'd do hd up pipes at a minimum, if the truck is an 08 i'd replace the rocker arms, and do hd push rods too...fuel bowl ****** would be nice if its not done yet, and add an a1000 fuel system to the mix, probably change out all the front accessories if the cab is coming up, or the serpentine belt at minimum if not all the pulley's and tensioners on the motor, and anything else that might be a bitch to do when the cab is down

If I could do all that for 5k id hop on that in a heartbeat but don't believe I could even get all the parts for under 5k haha

RSK

Reaction score
If I could do all that for 5k id hop on that in a heartbeat but don't believe I could even get all the parts for under 5k haha

Collect parts and wait. I can't recall does your truck require immediate attention? Is it broken right now?

strokedout6.4

Reaction score
Collect parts and wait. I can't recall does your truck require immediate attention? Is it broken right now?

The driver side up pipe just started leaking and I haven't drove it since it did it. Unsure if it was safe to drive like that or not and I figured while I was getting that done I might as well have some other things I want done to it done.

RSK

Reaction score
The driver side up pipe just started leaking and I haven't drove it since it did it. Unsure if it was safe to drive like that or not and I figured while I was getting that done I might as well have some other things I want done to it done.

Well if you have something else to drive i'd keep it parked and wait a month or two to save up more money if you can't wait then get it fixed

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.