Live Tuning

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Currently Justin from Powerstruck is building my truck with the parts listed in my signature. I should be just above the 500 hp mark depending on the strength of the hpop which could not be tested before due to a blown stock charger. Has anyone had there truck live tuned by Justin or by anyone for that matter? Does it make that much of a diffference? :poke:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yes, live tuning is the ultimate. Jody (our tuner) travels around the country to do it for customers.

For the extensive mods you are having installed, I would say live tuning is vital to seeing the most output with the best drive-ability.

mandkole

Reaction score
Live is ideal because every truck is different (motor/component condition and selection, sensor parameters, etc) and responds different to the tuning. Emailed or loaded files can get you close, but live tuning can dial it in to your truck.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I am even more excited to receive the call saying it is tuning day. Justin said he wants an entire day with me to test everything on the dyno as well as on the road. To me that is a huge commitment, to spend a work day satisfying a customer.
Mandkole i noticed in your sig that you are using a stock 17* pump. Was it in great condition? I have had terrible luck with this truck and am worried that mine is weak. have you ever dynoed that setup?

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Also Ron's Power Stroke, are you running a stock hpop as well? im assuming not with such big injectors and have you ever dynoed? Im just trying to figure out where i will be hp wise.

dadada

Reaction score
Live tuned by Justin. Truck runs great. Spent all of a Saturday evening tuning it. Haven't dynoed yet but he said I should be 425-450ish with my setup.

mandkole

Reaction score
Mandkole i noticed in your sig that you are using a stock 17* pump. Was it in great condition? I have had terrible luck with this truck and am worried that mine is weak. have you ever dynoed that setup?

The PO made a couple of pulls back in 2008 at about 500 with 238s. Its likely just a tad over now based on the track ETs/MPH. The pump is a good runner-- have had aftermarket ones on there without as good of datalog results.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
The PO made a couple of pulls back in 2008 at about 500 with 238s. Its likely just a tad over now based on the track ETs/MPH. The pump is a good runner-- have had aftermarket ones on there without as good of datalog results.

What are your times if you dont mind me asking? Those are still good numbers and im still impressed with the stock pump keeping up

thuglike

Reaction score
If you can swing it, Live tuning IS THE BEST thing you can do for your truck. Every one can and WILL see improved results by live tuning it. I don't care who's tunes you run if you go to ANY other tuner to be live tuned you will gain in power/trq and driveability or the guy tuning your truck is worthless or your truck is a rag. If your building a truck or putting any money under the hood and don't at least consider getting live tuned your only doing 1/2 a build. If you have the opportunity and means this is a NO BRAINER!!!!!
Good luck with your build

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Well i got the truck back this past saturday. The truck flat out rips. Accidentally broke the tires loose when i floored it at a 25 mph coast. The smoke is very very manageable (except for XXX) and the shifting is pretty solid. We just put the custom tunes on so i can test drive it and this weekend we will adjust everything and throw it on the rollers to get it dialed in. Took longer to build then i wanted but all in all I am extremely happy with Justin and his work. My daily driver tune feels just like stock with the throttle response and sensitivity. However, once you get the pedal past 2/3, the truck flies. Almost scared to run my race and XXX tunes without my traction bars on!

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out. I originally posted that I was at or slighlty above the 500 range. Is this that much of a stretch with a stock 17* pump? I got called out today and was told my setup would barely make 400 hp. Of course people sided with him because I currently have no dyno numbers.

fordman67

Reaction score
Yea but live tuning in a controlled manner on a dyno is the only way I have had anything tuned. Then after it runs properly and drives properly just make a power pull. I have had a lot of drag/street cars tuned over the years. If I ever get my injector issues fixed I will be going to justin so that is why I am inquiring.
Over the phone I was given the idea(maybe falsely in my head) that he tuned on a dyno.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
In my mind tuning on the dyno is great for maximum power. However, how am i really going to be able to tell if I like all the shift points etc? The company he bought the dyno from updated the software and never sent him a new access code. We put the truck on the dyno, but like stated we couldnt get numbers and put a load on the truck at the same time. I am still in contact with him and shortly after the holidays I am going back out to hit the rollers.

He will tune it however you want. However, I always followed his suggestions because he is a very knowledgeable man. My truck is almost tuned like a PMR truck. He did this to save some wear and tear on my engine. My XXX tune however is all out and meant for dyno pulls. I try not to use that tune much.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.