Loaded tune tranny missed a gear

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time running EBP numbers today for this new turbo. When I got done I loaded my SPD tune back up. I went out to drive and after only about 7 or 8 miles decided I wanted to see what the regular SPD would do from a stop. I built about 5psi, let off the brake and dropped the throttle. The rear tires went up in smoke, the truck started moving and when the tranny went to shift, it totally missed a gear and just found neutral. The truck hit the rev limiter before I could lift. As soon as I let out, the truck got in gear and drove fine. I did some pushes from around 40-70mph and rolled into the throttle slow to build almost 30psi of boost with the convertor locked. The trans seemed to shift fine the rest of the drive home (about 10 miles).

So did I just not give it enough time to relearn and the trans missed a gear or is this something I should be worried about. What do you guys think?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
let it relearn for a longer period, thats happened on one occasion to me before.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I kinda figured I hadn't given it enough time, but Chris's tunes are just to much fun not to burn some tire from time to time. Just wanted some feedback.... and reassurance.

chappy

Reaction score
I actuall have not had problems with Chris's tunes and the relearn process. I have had that problem with a couple other tuners though after loading up. These trucks are finicky

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
After this happened to you guys was everything still ok with the tranny? Just needed time to relearn? I do have the GoGo solenoid as well, so I wonder if that might cause it to take a bit longer to relearn.

chappy

Reaction score
Mine did it before and after the solenoid. I had to actually put the truck in nuetral and come to a stop and then back in drive and it would be fine. Tranny was still fine after it finally relearned till the convertor broke and took out the pump.

Nic

Reaction score
mine does this with the x-street tune...my tranny is F'd!!...can smell the tq converter in the cab too..

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
mine does this with the x-street tune...my tranny is F'd!!...can smell the tq converter in the cab too..
This is the first time it's ever done it and the convertor didn't slip, it just flat missed the shift and bounced off the rev limiter. There was no more than 10 miles on it since I loaded the tune. Changed from a more powerful tune to test this one with the new turbo.

Hate to hear about your tranny being FUBARed though. How many miles?

Nic

Reaction score
This is the first time it's ever done it and the convertor didn't slip, it just flat missed the shift and bounced off the rev limiter. There was no more than 10 miles on it since I loaded the tune. Changed from a more powerful tune to test this one with the new turbo.

Hate to hear about your tranny being FUBARed though. How many miles?

yep mine didnt slip either the first few times it did it..did it the first time flat to the floor from 1st to 2nd she popped out..then after the 3rd pops out religiously if she meets the floorboard. its got worse sine the first time..now its about gone..when its idling it sounds like a standard when creeping over a hill...that low grinding noise..its terrible..been talking to a few ppl about trannys..might go with elite..idk yet..oh..146k..truck got built and tuned for the first time at 138k

EnterKO

Reaction score
yep mine didnt slip either the first few times it did it..did it the first time flat to the floor from 1st to 2nd she popped out..then after the 3rd pops out religiously if she meets the floorboard. its got worse sine the first time..now its about gone..when its idling it sounds like a standard when creeping over a hill...that low grinding noise..its terrible..been talking to a few ppl about trannys..might go with elite..idk yet..oh..146k..truck got built and tuned for the first time at 138k

Sucks to hear man.

My truck missed a gear about a year ago,(from 1st to 2nd) I let out of it, and it shifted a few seconds later. Scared the chit out of me.

Since this has happened, I have decided to build the transmission. I'm sure I don't need one yet (shifts firm, no 3-5 flare) but I would feel more comfortable with the assurance of a stronger trans.

Nic

Reaction score
Sucks to hear man.

My truck missed a gear about a year ago,(from 1st to 2nd) I let out of it, and it shifted a few seconds later. Scared the chit out of me.

Since this has happened, I have decided to build the transmission. I'm sure I don't need one yet (shifts firm, no 3-5 flare) but I would feel more comfortable with the assurance of a stronger trans.

yep same here..i need one so bad but just cant afford it yet..also need a hpop. its been on its way out for the last year and a half..sounds like a power steering whine under the hood..gears goin to crap in the pump..lost a TON of power through the hpop and the trans..and here i have over a 200 worth of tunes in my email and cant use a one..:doh:

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Did you do the initial trans relearn procedure? Shifting from P to R, R to D, D to R, R to P, several times in different combinations before taking off? This makes a huge difference in the amount of time it take the trans to relearn.

Chris

Reaction score
when the tune loads it resets the learning. id drive it around and let it go thru the gears a few times and then let it rip again. if you get a TON of tire spin on a freshly loaded tune sometimes itll miss a gear, my 06 would do this on occassion. there are a few things that can cause it, mainly it not anticipating the acceleration its seeing.

Mpoage

Reaction score
I bet if you had launched in 4x4 this wouldn't have happened. The transmission couldn't shift fast enough and it just bounced off the limiter and fell into neutral. It happened to me several times in my 6.0.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Did you do the initial trans relearn procedure? Shifting from P to R, R to D, D to R, R to P, several times in different combinations before taking off? This makes a huge difference in the amount of time it take the trans to relearn.
I did not do this and I know better. I had been running EBP numbers for almost 2 hrs and changed tunes back to my normal DD tune. I know I should've done the various shifts and given it some time to relearn, but I've spent the last week logging all the info I could on this new turbo That I haven't really had time to just enjoy the truck. I got in a hurry to just go drive without having to be collect data. The truck ran fine all day today though, no issues. Shifted great with no issues.

when the tune loads it resets the learning. id drive it around and let it go thru the gears a few times and then let it rip again. if you get a TON of tire spin on a freshly loaded tune sometimes itll miss a gear, my 06 would do this on occassion. there are a few things that can cause it, mainly it not anticipating the acceleration its seeing.
Yeah, I had to reprogram it again today and definitely gave it time before I romped on it. BTW, I got my column mount gauge pod today and installed my new boost gauge and that turbo will make up to 35psi. I can't wait to dyno this pig.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I did not do this and I know better. I had been running EBP numbers for almost 2 hrs and changed tunes back to my normal DD tune. I know I should've done the various shifts and given it some time to relearn, but I've spent the last week logging all the info I could on this new turbo That I haven't really had time to just enjoy the truck. I got in a hurry to just go drive without having to be collect data. The truck ran fine all day today though, no issues. Shifted great with no issues.
I did the same thig when I got my truck back together. I got excited to get out on the road and flog things out and totally forgot about the trans. I kept thinking "Why in the hell is the tranny taking so long to drop into gear?" and "WTF is with this shifting?". It took me a minute to remember about the relearn in the exitement of getting back on the road.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
LOL

Yeah, I had to reprogram it again today and definitely gave it time before I romped on it. BTW, I got my column mount gauge pod today and installed my new boost gauge and that turbo will make up to 35psi. I can't wait to dyno this pig.

I'd say that it's the turbo's fault.If you had a stock turbo on your truck you wouldn't have had any issues.LOL Hum 35psi ,I like it alot,that's what I call MAD.:biggun:

Latest posts

Members online