Long cranking time

hfoote

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Truck has been sitting for probubly 3 weeks with being ran. Went to fire it up and the batteries were dead, charged em up and the truck started right up. Drove it around to get everything loosend up. After I shut it off, I tried to restart it a couple minutes later, it cranked longer then normal, id say 4-6 seconds. When it did start, it acted like it was going to stall for a second then went back to running regularly. Sorry for the long post, what do you all suggest i check? I have a CTS insight so i was watching icp etc and everything looks normal. Only code was a p???13. Somthin about abnormal high voltage.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

hfoote

Reaction score
Ok i will pull that code and check the oil after work

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I would clean the fuel filter and CLEAN THE FPR SCREEN. Sounds stupid, but that dang little FPR screen when all sludged up and dirty will cause some crazy problems.

hfoote

Reaction score
Ok guys had to go out of town unexpectedly for work but that code is a po113. From what I can figure its somthing to do with intake air temp??

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Is your sensor hooked up in the intake? That really shouldn't throw a code unless its shorting out or something.

hfoote

Reaction score
It has a tymar intake so I unhooked it when i put that on.

Irishcream

Reaction score
If you have a bad signal in the intake air temp, you may be getting a bad air fuel mixture. Your intake temp sensor may be giving a reading so far off mormal that you are getting either too little or too much fuel. Any distinctive smoke after it started? If it stumbled then went back to normal I'm thinking you had some white smoke.

hfoote

Reaction score
When you cold start it, it will haze a little bit for the first couple minutes but nothing serious. And this it at 40 degrees. Do i need to drill a hole in the intake and plug it back in?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No that doesn't need to be plugged in. I leave mine dangling outside my 6637.

hfoote

Reaction score
Ok cool, so will this code always be there and not effect anything? Or do i need to get a new sensor?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm not sure why your getting that code... That sensor shouldn't throw any codes afaik as long as the sensor isn't physcially burnt out

hfoote

Reaction score
Should I throw a new one on it?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody else will chime in about that code.. Don't do anything yet.

mandkole

Reaction score
I dont think the sensor is causing the hard start as the motor warms. Seems more like an hpo issue (orings, ipr, etc).

hfoote

Reaction score
Ok. Im pretty sure the injectors are the originals. Truck has 126xxx on it. Where is the ipr located? Can it be cleaned or should I just order a new one?

mandkole

Reaction score
126K and 15 years later, if you have original inj orings and IPR orings, its very possible that they are allowing oil pressure leakage. The IPR sticks out from behind the HPOP--has a sheetmetal nut holding the electromagnet on and there is a connector. Its orings are commonly responsible for hard starts or dying after the oil approaches operating temp (because it thins out). Ive never had luck with cleaning one, but others have.

Do a little research in the library and use the search function for more info. To get you started with troubleshooting the HPO system: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818

hfoote

Reaction score
Clicked on the link but the item on the page won't come up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.