Looking at a 6.0

Jomax

Reaction score
My uncle really wants this 6.0

2006 f-250 ECLB 4x4 108k miles

His friend owns the dealer that's selling it to him. He's having it brought to me to check it out.

What's everything I should check over to give him the green light on buying it?

I have AE and I'm diesel Savvy to check anything you guys recommend.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check the obvious first, leaks, front end, fluid condition, etc. Pull codes, do a relative compression and power balance if you can with that scanner. Drive it an get it hot, then remove the degas cap, and drive it hard again. Remove the cap again, and see how much pressure is there. If its not much, the head gaskets will be good, if there is a ton, youll more than likely be looking at pulling heads in the near future. Check boost and vgtdc while driving as well, a stocker will pull 24-27 psi, and vgt shouldnt really go below 30% or so while accelerating to 75 or so. If it drops to 14.99 or at idle sits at 84.99 the turbo is sticking. Also check all the pressure sensor pids for bias, ford says 1.5 psi difference is ok, i typically see around .5 psi at the most. Also do a hot restart after it sits for about 10 minutes to se if any hi pressure leaks. If possible start it cold while doing a power balance, and do an injector click test before that. Check ficm voltage as well. Hope this helps some :thumbup:

junglejoe

Reaction score
What he said!
Check for sludge or oil in the degas bottle, see if it's been egr ******d, see if the degas bottle is new, could be hiding something!

Jomax

Reaction score
Check the obvious first, leaks, front end, fluid condition, etc. Pull codes, do a relative compression and power balance if you can with that scanner. Drive it an get it hot, then remove the degas cap, and drive it hard again. Remove the cap again, and see how much pressure is there. If its not much, the head gaskets will be good, if there is a ton, youll more than likely be looking at pulling heads in the near future. Check boost and vgtdc while driving as well, a stocker will pull 24-27 psi, and vgt shouldnt really go below 30% or so while accelerating to 75 or so. If it drops to 14.99 or at idle sits at 84.99 the turbo is sticking. Also check all the pressure sensor pids for bias, ford says 1.5 psi difference is ok, i typically see around .5 psi at the most. Also do a hot restart after it sits for about 10 minutes to se if any hi pressure leaks. If possible start it cold while doing a power balance, and do an injector click test before that. Check ficm voltage as well. Hope this helps some :thumbup:

Thanks!!! How many pressure sensors are there? Do I check for them to be all equal within .5psi??

Also I assume check the EOT/ECT difference?

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Check the oil filter caps well. Mine had a Napa or Wix when I bought it. Ended up replacing lifters after the plunger broke.

Drain the water separator as well. Buddy bought a used 6.0 and the fuel pump poured our black fuel/water/crude oil lol shows how well the upkeep was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Halestorm55

Reaction score
Thanks!!! How many pressure sensors are there? Do I check for them to be all equal within .5psi??

I have just an old school vacuum/carb testing gauge that has a 3/8x1/4x3/8 tee on the end to fit in the front upper Degas vent hose and it lays right under the wiper to test coolant pressure. Goes to 15psi. That way you can watch it as you drive it. It sits under the back seat in case I ever need it.

looking up parts

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Three pressure sensors. Map, baro, and ebp. As long as baro is correct, make sure map and ebp are within .5 of it. Baro in aj, dont know how close you are to there, but it is 13.79-13.83 or so psi.

Jomax

Reaction score
Three pressure sensors. Map, baro, and ebp. As long as baro is correct, make sure map and ebp are within .5 of it. Baro in aj, dont know how close you are to there, but it is 13.79-13.83 or so psi.

I'm in East Mesa

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online