Looking for injector advice.

Dreadnought

Reaction score
I'm fairly new here so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with my request. If I am, take it easy on me, don't send Predator drones toward my house or anything. I know how brutal these forums can be sometimes. :lookaround:

I'm finally looking toward upgrading my injectors. I've done some research but it seems to me that each company has different definitions of each "Stage" and mention different results. So I'm a little bewildered.

My truck is street driven primarily, so I'm not looking for insane horsepower gains or anything too wild. I'd prefer a solid power bump to complement the modifications I've already completed (sig) and I don't want my transmission to commit seppuku two days after the install. So I was looking at Stage 1 products from a few companies but I'd like the opinion from people who run them. Am I wasting my money with Stage 1's? Should I go ahead and get something bigger? If anyone has any "tried and true combos" I'd really like to hear them.

(As far as the tranny goes I'm planning on upgrading to a JW valvebody around the same time as the injector swap. Just FYI)

Tom S

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with stage one injectors if you will be satisfied with that HP level.

norcaldiesel

Reaction score
I'm fairly new here so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with my request. If I am, take it easy on me, don't send Predator drones toward my house or anything. I know how brutal these forums can be sometimes. :lookaround:

I'm finally looking toward upgrading my injectors. I've done some research but it seems to me that each company has different definitions of each "Stage" and mention different results. So I'm a little bewildered.

My truck is street driven primarily, so I'm not looking for insane horsepower gains or anything too wild. I'd prefer a solid power bump to complement the modifications I've already completed (sig) and I don't want my transmission to commit seppuku two days after the install. So I was looking at Stage 1 products from a few companies but I'd like the opinion from people who run them. Am I wasting my money with Stage 1's? Should I go ahead and get something bigger? If anyone has any "tried and true combos" I'd really like to hear them.

(As far as the tranny goes I'm planning on upgrading to a JW valvebody around the same time as the injector swap. Just FYI)

This is what I'm doing with a 38 R. You'll have to get new tunes if you're going from AD's to AC's. All this stuff.. Injectors, lifts tires.. it's like a boob job, they're never big enough. You just gotta be happy with what you get or spend more and do it over.

smokedout250

Reaction score
This is what I'm doing with a 38 R. You'll have to get new tunes if you're going from AD's to AC's. All this stuff.. Injectors, lifts tires.. it's like a boob job, they're never big enough. You just gotta be happy with what you get or spend more and do it over.

Haha that's great I was gonna go ones but I changed it up to 2s.granted I wish I would have went hybrids but owell this is what I have and I make due I'm shooting for 400hp. Best advice is set a goal! I started by only wanting a chip now look at were I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skew12

Reaction score
Full force has a pretty good price on an injector/38r combo. About best I found.

norcaldiesel

Reaction score
Full force has a pretty good price on an injector/38r combo. About best I found.

I think for the money and reliability you can't beat this combo especially if yours is a daily driver. When you go beyond this you need fuel system upgrades, oil upgrades and more money and time. Although you might consider a fuel system upgrade either way. I'm almost thinking of buying an '01 7.3 CCLB just to be able to have it sit while I had the motor worked up.. then do all the things we all want to do like wild injectors and tuning, 70 lbs of boost, something ridiculous.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if you feel that you will never want to go big hp, there is absolutely nothing wrong with stg 1's or 2's, and if thats what your after, dont let anyone talk you out of them. but, try to think in the future, also. if your just looking for a little more go on your go pedal, 1's or 2's is the way to go.

if you think in the future you will want more, then spend the money once, and just get larger hybrids to start with, and have them tuned down.

personally, since you have a 38r, i would get a 238/80 or a 238/100. its a smaller hybrid, fits that 38r real well, can be tuned up or down to your hearts desire, and will have a hard time killing that 38r, less you really beat the hell out of it. trans upgrades, like a bts, not really needed, but the valve body and torque convertor recommended. they will kill a bone stock trans rather quick.

head studs, should also consider, and depending on miles on motor, maybe springs and push rods. last two are cheap insurance, if you have mileage on motor.

its not a "big" combo, so the reliability is still there, also. gearhead had that combo around 500-550, though he did say it was pushing the 38r past its limits.

just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If all you want to do is stick with the 38r and stock fuel/oil system. Why not a "stage" 1.5 or 160/100.

Tree trimmer. It took me 5 minutes to navigate off this page. I could NOT stop staring at your avatar. My god man.

Latest posts

Members online