Loose seal on axle. Need help.

Pigman

Reaction score
I've been getting a noise for the past couple weeks that sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side but I'm not sure. It only occurs whenever I'm going above 45 MPH and start to slow down. It doesn't happen whenever I slow down from a lower speed than that and it does not happen when I'm accelerating. It sounds like a squeaking sound and it is noticeable even from inside the cab with the windows rolled up. I checked all my wheel bearings and all are fine.

I got underneath the truck a minute ago to see if I could diagnose it and noticed there is a seal that is loose on the front driver's side. I'm not sure if it is the source of the noise or not. I also am not sure what the purpose of the seal is so hopefully y'all can help me out. It feels like a hard plastic piece and is almost the same shape and feel of a hub ring.

Thanks

6D3B2DA6-E1E0-44C8-8B18-CFEE4E7D80F3_zps3wybntnx.jpg

Pigman

Reaction score
That's just a dust seal, it's not the source of the noise.

Thanks man. Should I make it a priority to get that fixed or is it okay to drive with it like that a little while longer?

Any idea on what the noise could be?

mustube

Reaction score
Unless you go through water or live down a dirt road I wouldn't make it a huge priority. Pretty much every 99-04 truck that I have seen has had that same seal hanging just like that. If you only hear it when slowing down I would think something in the brakes. I would put the front up on jack stands and look at not only the brakes but try to move the tire up and down with it in the air to see if there's any wheel bearing play. Another thing to check is your spindle bearings. Put a pry bar or something similar between your axle shaft u joints and the lower ball joints and see how much play there is in the shaft. There's a little bearing inside the unit bearing that the shaft rides on that is replaceable separately.

mandkole

Reaction score
Try to create the noise then tap the brakes to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, its likely not the brakes. Try locking the hubs and see if the noise changes. Does the chirp sound fast, like it would match wheel speed?

Do you think it could he heard on video?

Pigman

Reaction score
Applying the brakes or letting off the brakes does not affect the noise so I don't think it's the brakes. I've already checked the wheel bearings and those are fine as well. I can try to video the sound either tonight or tomorrow. Not sure how to post it though.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Unless you go through water or live down a dirt road I wouldn't make it a huge priority. Pretty much every 99-04 truck that I have seen has had that same seal hanging just like that. If you only hear it when slowing down I would think something in the brakes. I would put the front up on jack stands and look at not only the brakes but try to move the tire up and down with it in the air to see if there's any wheel bearing play. Another thing to check is your spindle bearings. Put a pry bar or something similar between your axle shaft u joints and the lower ball joints and see how much play there is in the shaft. There's a little bearing inside the unit bearing that the shaft rides on that is replaceable separately.

Not just 99-04's. My 08's also popped out LOL

Latest posts

Members online