Loosing transmission fluid, but not leaking?

Ford460power

Reaction score
So I recently swapped in a used transmission and so far it's been great. I flushed all my lines changed filters and new fluid. I've been checking the fluid level and it's been about 2 quarts low last couple times I checked. Been checking after truck was driven home from work so it's fully warmed up when I check.

I have zero leaks, not even a drop on the ground in my parking space. Ive pulled the rubber inspection plugs on the bellhousing to see if it's maybe a front seal leaking and maybe a puddle there but it's dry. Weird part is that I can smell atf when I'm driving. But it's not a burning smell it's a fresh atf smell. It's weird, it's worse with the AC or heat on. I've checked the dip stick tube, no leaks around that, doesn't seem to be dripping anywhere.

What should I do? I just put 2 quarts in yesterday so I'm going to watch it for the next few days and see what the level does.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check the t-case, it may be way verfull. Kind of hard for it to do as there are 2 seals there, one on the outlet of the trans, and one on the input of the t case. Check that mating surface between the t case and the trans for some moisture.

Ford460power

Reaction score
Checked the t case after work today it's still good level. Weird now I have the trans topped off full and I can smell the atf strong. Pretty much figured out when it's low on fluid no smell.

joe d

Reaction score
Well my thought is it cant just disappear.. You smelling it would lead me to think vent on top of trans but you say no drips or leaks. It has to go somewhere. Cooler cross contaminating into coolant...

Ford460power

Reaction score
I checked the coolant level last night after I got home from work and it's actually low, and it still smells OK in the Degas bottle. I'm going to drain a bit out the bottom of the radiator tonight see what it looks like.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Trans fluid can go three places. It can leak into the radiator, or into the transfer case, or outside the trans. If it is losing fluid it HAS to go to one of these places. There are no other possibilities.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Trans fluid can go three places. It can leak into the radiator, or into the transfer case, or outside the trans. If it is losing fluid it HAS to go to one of these places. There are no other possibilities.

Well i guess it is possible for it to leak into the space between the t case and trans and not make it into the tcase. Eventually you will see it externally as that space will only hold so much though...

Ford460power

Reaction score
Im going to do some more looking tonight after work. Check it again and see. I still want to drain a bit of the radiator and see how it looks. My Degas bottle is low on coolant so it's hard to tell of there's any mix going on.

dmd

Reaction score
Oil will be on the top of the coolant, not the bottom. Oil floats, you will see it
in the degas bottle if you are loosing that much and it is leaking in the radiator.

Latest posts

Members online