Loss of oil pressure at idle.

Strokin6.0

Reaction score
Ive got a 2004 6.0 holds pressure while drivng down the road but loses pressure at idle, in the process the turbo sounds like its rumbling.. ive changed the pressure switch and thats just because i hooked AE up to it and it pulled the code for it, nothing changed with new pressure switch :fustrate:AE showed everything to fine and working good.. ive also checked the valve in the oil bowl its working fine.. The truck is showing no signs of leaking oil anywhere, ive read some posts about the hpop and lpop and if they were bad the truck wouldnt start, mine starts and runs just doesnt hold pressure, any advice would be very very helpful.. thanks for your time

Reaction score
Ive got a 2004 6.0 holds pressure while drivng down the road but loses pressure at idle, in the process the turbo sounds like its rumbling.. ive changed the pressure switch and thats just because i hooked AE up to it and it pulled the code for it, nothing changed with new pressure switch :fustrate:AE showed everything to fine and working good.. ive also checked the valve in the oil bowl its working fine.. The truck is showing no signs of leaking oil anywhere, ive read some posts about the hpop and lpop and if they were bad the truck wouldnt start, mine starts and runs just doesnt hold pressure, any advice would be very very helpful.. thanks for your time

There is no code on a 6.0 for the oil pressure sending unit, only for the oil temp.

If oil pressure was actually low the truck would shut off. No low side pressure, no oil to the HPOP, no oil to run injectors. If you changed the sending unit and it still does it, change the connector. The wire gets beat up after being taken off a few times.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
There actually is a code for no low side. Its triggered when the dummy gauge zeros and check oil symbol illuminates.

6.0s can and will run with very little oil pressure. Ive seen them idle fine with as little as 3 PSI, measured at the factory sending unit via transducer.

If the pigtail isnt frayed, or oil soaked chances are it isnt your issue. I would connect an actual mechanical gauge and see what she is building.

What oil filter are you running and is the bypass atop the stand tube in good shape?

Strokin6.0

Reaction score
Pigtail is good no fraying or oil, stand tube looks fine also, im using a motorcraft filter.. ill check it with a mechanical gauge and see what i get.. took the turbo off this evenin and the shaft seems a little wobbly, it is a reman turbo that was put on before i got the truck..

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I agree with ctc, i have seen them run at 1 psi before, as long as there is enough flowntgey will run. Are you having any hard starts? There is a ball in the hpop that can fall out and cause this. Also the front cover could be scored causing yhe oil to bypass the pump and not build pressure.

Pulk the oil filter out, and hold down the check valve in the bottom of the bowl with a long screwdriver. Crank it over with the starter wire over by the passenger battery. If it fills up to the threads in 15-20 sec or so, base is probably decent. If not, Try pulling the oil regulator out, which is the 12mm allen on the front cover, kinda pointed off toward the passenger side at a downward angle. See if there is any scoring that you can see in there, as that would be the easiest preliminary check. Either way though you are probably gonna b tearing into it.

As far as turbo play, hese things have a pretty good amount. I think the spec is like .035 up and down and .012 in and out.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
if indeed this is a early 04, the hpop is your issue. IF you cant find the ball, dont worry, Ive only found about 60% of them over the years lol

Strokin6.0

Reaction score
Ive held down the valve and it fills up normally, but ill be checking it again this mornin.. what would be causing the turbo to have that thumping sound that whay was throwing me off.. As far tearing into it, it probably needs to be anyways, ive got the EGR ****** and oil cooler to put in, so might as well as tear in to her.. thanks guys ill see what it looks lik and get with ya

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
oh wait, you have a thumping sound?? from the intake?

pull your drain plug right now and see if there are shavings on it. also the oil filter.. we may have lifter failure.....

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
A lifter failure would most likely damage thebfront cover though, and the filter housing would not fill up properly though, correct?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I've seen many 6.0's drive around with the popping or thumping from the intake, against advising them not to. They can make it quite a few miles before the lifter finally scatters out bad enough to trash the lpop. Obviously, a complete roll of the dice. As mentioned, pull the low pressure oil regulator, and check for needle bearings. Stick a small stick magnet in the front cover with the regulator out, and check again for needle bearings. If nothing is found, id pull the lpop for good measure, and check it for scoring/marks.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
My camlobe was completely wiped with perfect oil psi, no scoring of front cover, no misfire, no popping

Strokin6.0

Reaction score
Ok drained oil and yes metal shaving were there, so i guess its a lifter.. how does that affect oil pressure at an idle, and not with throttle push down..

pdumont01

Reaction score
Ok drained oil and yes metal shaving were there, so i guess its a lifter.. how does that affect oil pressure at an idle, and not with throttle push down..
The front cover is probably damaged from metal going through the pump like someone said above, causes lower output, when the truck is revved up it compensates by pumping more oil, until it fails completely. Pop the cover off and check it out

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jake74

Reaction score
There's always a little metal on the magnet but is very fine. Pull the oil filter and look at it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Sorry, this baby is done.

Start planning for a cam, lifters, possibly front cover and definitely oil pump

Latest posts

Members online