loss of power, high egts HELP!!!!

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I guess to start off im running the SCT tune with innovative's aggressive street tune. iv been easy on the truck runnin around today and get on it every so often just to get around the slow pokes. i leave my apartment to go 10-15 miles to my in-laws place to drop some things off. ran great. i let it idle for about 5-10 min while i wipe it down (large tire threw dirty water on it). i leave there, go down about 2-3 miles and i lose power. my egts are climbing to 1400* (never ever has it hit that high 1200* max), my boost is ridiculously climbing fast and my turbo has gotten really loud all of a sudden. louder than it should be. so i think ok something has come off. at idle the egts are really slow to come down from 700* and boost is idling at 1psi. crusing boost is in its 20s and normal should be 8-10psi. i take it east down the highway all the way back to the apartment. getting home wasnt hard just had to take it easy due to high and fast egt climb. once home i pop the hood and start checking to make sure IC boots are intact, MAP hose is connected, exhaust down pipe is good. nothing. its a never ending. once something is fixed something else goes.:flush: Any thoughts on what it could be? :(

Last edited:

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
anyone? also when letting off the gas on the highway you could hear the turbo really well. normally you never hear it unless its at 10 psi which is normal for me at least.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
ill keep that in mind. i checked up pipes and didnt see and soot on the firewall but its at night so cant see much with the flashlight on my phone anyways. could the vanes being stuck cause such a loud turbo?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
My thought is that the vanes are stuck in a closed or partially closed position. This would cause the turbo to sound loud, as you are essentially over-driving it. Would also explain high EGT as back-pressure would be through the roof under conditions where the vanes would normally be open.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
is it fairly simple to clean? i have drivin the truck a little over 10k miles from when i bought it and they said they "cleaned" the turbo or rather "replaced it".

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
could it also be the ebv sensor maybe? just throwing some things out there i found from google.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Could be I suppose. Do you have any way to pull codes?
I'll admit my knowledge of 6.0's is fairly limited, but hopefully I can get you pointed in the right direction and someone else who knows more can take it from there.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ya I pulled codes from my SCT tuner but it only showed egr not there since there's a delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
No none like that popped up. I'm driving it now and it's runnin normal? I had let it sit for about an hr or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like you have something funky going on with the VGT. Either the vanes were stuck closed, or a sensor was telling them to stay closed.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm having the same problem. Wondering if it was the vanes or a sensor

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.