Lost a cylinder

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
My buddy has an 06 that lost #8 cylinder, the truck has 56K miles. He had a slight miss for about a week which ended up being the injector. Now he's trying to decide what to do, buy a short block, long block or have his engine pulled down and have that cylinder sleeved and put in a new piston and rings? What would be the best and most economical for him to do? The truck has an EGR delete, Edge CTS and an AFE filter.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well I would try and figure out what caused it to "lose a cylinder" in the first place... what the heck happened? You know for a fact the cylinder is shot? Are the heads off, or did someone scope it? Compression test?

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
The shop that tested it used a computer to do it, it showed a bar graph and from what he was told it was 33% lower than the other cylinders. The truck is running rough and will barely idle. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, the truck is very well taken care of and not flogged on at all, the truck just developed a slight miss at idle and he had the injector replaced within 3 or 4 days. The truck was driven less than 30 miles with a miss.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
Um well just having a bad injector could cause that..... don't throw out the baby with the bath water just yet.

Gearhead

Reaction score
if the computer is telling them they need to replace the engine and they haven't investigated anything mechanically i'd take it somewhere else.....

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
It's going to a different shop now, I guess we'll see wat the verdict is. BTW the truck now starts like the batteries are dead, misses at idle and the exhaust will burn your eyes (unburnt fuel).

Mdub707

Reaction score
Probably just a bad injector....

Amazing how a bad injector turns into "I need a new engine"... talk about wanting to throw parts/money at a truck, holy crap.

Diagnose, verify, repair!

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
It ended up being a bent valve, the mechanic found a 6mm bolt in the intake runner :shrug:. The egr delete has been done for at least 2 years and since my buddy has owned this truck for the last year he has not had anything done to it. Well at least now the motor will be studded and resealed.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Sounds like someone forgot to REMOVE the bolt from th eintake that holds the back of the egr in place. Then when they ifted up the intake it jumped, and did a dissapearing act. Their neglagence for not finding, and instead just saying phuck it, and throwing it back together. What a shame.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.