Lost ICP while towing - Kinda Urgent

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Towing my GN trailer weighing approximately 22k-23k from Northern NJ to Bowling Green, KY. While pulling a hill on the PA Turnpike, the CEL comes on and loose power. Got a P1211 code using my ScanGauge. While pulling the hill, the motor got a little hot. The coolant temp needle got to the "M" during the hill climb.

I pull into a rest stop and cleared the code. When I cleared the code, I heard the motor smooth out. As soon as I start driving again, the CEL comes back on. I continued driving. I have no power to pull the hills.

Prior to the CEL coming on the second time, the DC shot up to 90% then CEL tripped. ICP would barely get to 1600. As I continued driving, the ICP began to drop down to 1100.

I got off the PA Turnpike onto 70 West and began to climb the hill, Rt 470 (bypass for Wheeling, WV). As I'm cresting the hill, I was in first gear. The motor had no power what so ever.

I pull into the first stop in OH. I clear the code and I pop the hood and check the ICP & IPR sensors. The both checked fine. While checking the sensors I moved the harness for the IPR. I start driving, CEL comes on again.

Then all off sudden, I get ICP back and full power. I continued onto KY with no issues. I shut the motor off while refueling, the CEL cleared and it started right up.

I never shut off the motor any time the CEL was on fearing that I might never get the motor started again and leaving me stranded.

I get to my destination and check over the engine harness in the valley fearing that I possibly melted a wire when the motor got hot. Found nothing wrong. Just to make sure, I re-wired the wiring for ICP & IPR. There was no oil in the ICP sensor.

I need to get back home (850 miles) and don't want to loose the ICP again.

Is there anything I can do or check out?
Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

gnxtc2

Reaction score
How do you know the ipr is fine did you pull it out? How many miles are on the truck?
When I was chasing my hot start issue, I replaced the IPR o-rings and replaced the entire IPR assembly when I installed the HB Jr this past January.

I rolled 250k on this trip.

To have a piece of mind, I don't mind changing the IPR sensor.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Man with a duty cycle like that and a hunny badger it's calling for some oil. Sounds electrical the way you describe it. Check all the sensors in that loom like the oil temp sensor etc. You cold fabricate a gauge and tie it into an oil rail to see if it need that high of duty cycle to keep oil. But with that hpop unless it's taking a crap I can't see it leaking that much oil hell my 15* drove my 300/200 with one with a stuck poppet wouldn't start worth a hell tho... any hot start issue?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
IPR nut tight?

Yep, it's tight.

Man with a duty cycle like that and a hunny badger it's calling for some oil. Sounds electrical the way you describe it. Check all the sensors in that loom like the oil temp sensor etc. You cold fabricate a gauge and tie it into an oil rail to see if it need that high of duty cycle to keep oil. But with that hpop unless it's taking a crap I can't see it leaking that much oil hell my 15* drove my 300/200 with one with a stuck poppet wouldn't start worth a hell tho... any hot start issue?

Oil temp sensor was also replaced back in January. Would an oil temp sensor cause ICP issues?

Currently have no hot start issues, fires right up.

Id look at the IPR harness again to be sure. How's fuel pressure?

I rewired the IPR harness leading into the main engine harness. I re-used the body cavities. I also put a new end on the ICP sensor. When I took apart the old harness, I didn't find anything suspicious.

Usually mechanical issues don't correct themselves, I think.

Billy T.
[email protected]

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I was more referring to the wiring possibly chafing in the loom not the sensor itself. Just tripple check all the wire in that loom. Did the issue happen at low fuel levels like it's sucking air in the pickup after a certain level?

mandkole

Reaction score
Agreed, this issue is not mechanical (in terms of the oil pump). Its an IPR/ICP control and feedback issue.

Just brainstorming given the limited data... The first notes in the HPOP troubleshooting manual reference adequate fuel pressure is required. Do you know what your fuel pressure was? If it drops, power reduces and you keep throttling up (more PW command), the IPR will keep asking the HPOP for something it cant give. On the other hand, if you had no oil pressure with lots of fuel (and PW), you'd have low IP/pissing lots of fuel, your egts would be on the moon and smoke city...

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The fuel pressure was set at 65 before I left.

When the issue arose, I saw that fuel pressure was down to 40 and I turned fuel pressure back to 65. Then saw that the glass to the fuel pressure gauge was cracked and liquid in the gauge leaked out. When I pressed on the glass, the needle jumped. So I can't tell you what my fuel pressure is. I'm looking for another gauge to swap out.

I can't remember if I turned the fuel pressure up before it the truck started to run right. I was mentally drained by that time.

No smoke or high EGTs.

Billy T.
[email protected]

mandkole

Reaction score
The fuel pressure was set at 65 before I left.

When the issue arose, I saw that fuel pressure was down to 40 and I turned fuel pressure back to 65. Then saw that the glass to the fuel pressure gauge was cracked and liquid in the gauge leaked out. When I pressed on the glass, the needle jumped. So I can't tell you what my fuel pressure is. I'm looking for another gauge to swap out.

I can't remember if I turned the fuel pressure up before it the truck started to run right. I was mentally drained by that time.

No smoke or high EGTs.

Billy T.
[email protected]

I def understand the stress... I can recall a CPS issue at 130am after it taking 10 hours to go what should have taken 2.5 with my wife and kid, then ending up on a rollback....fug

I love my in cab fuel press gauge. I wouldnt be without it anymore.

If you're racing, enjoy the weekend and good luck!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
dam the bad luck.. I have had my fair share of "side of the road fixes or in hotel parking lots....

thats freaky the way icp tanked and came back... I would venture that a piece of debris got lodged and allowed hpo to bleed off till it cleared or fuel pressure tanked and allowed zero resistance.....

live life full throttle

Dantheman

Reaction score
dam the bad luck.. I have had my fair share of "side of the road fixes or in hotel parking lots....

thats freaky the way icp tanked and came back... I would venture that a piece of debris got lodged and allowed hpo to bleed off till it cleared or fuel pressure tanked and allowed zero resistance.....

live life full throttle

I just had the same thing happen a few thousand ago. I changed injectors and some dirt or debris got in the HPO system when I took out the plug on the reservoir. I changed the IPR on the side of the road, filled the reservoir and it fired right up. That happened because I didn't wash the engine good before the injector job.

rusty1161

Reaction score

live life full throttle

Billy,

Could it be debris from the bad orings you just replaced?

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Billy,

Could it be debris from the bad orings you just replaced?

Rusty

Anything is possible. You would think putting over 2k miles on and an oil/filter change would have cleaned out any debris? Before I left on my trip, I changed the oil.

I found a vendor that was selling liquid filled 1.5" fuel gauge, so I replaced the cracked one. The fuel pressure was set at 85lbs and I left it there. I didn't want to touch anything since the truck was running fine.

I got back last night. The return trip was smooth. Averaged 10 mpg towing 22k-23k. The BASB turbo is unbelievable. Very few times I had to drop out of OD. I set the cruise at 70 mph which is 1850 rpms. When going up a rolling hill, boost comes up to 20lbs. If I needed to drop it into 3rd, boost would be at 30lbs. EGTs were very managable, never went over 1200* in OD. This was in DynoProven's Heavy Tow Program. Trans temp never went over 150*.

If it was any warmer out, the truck would have overheated pulling long grades in on the PA Turnpike. The fan clutch will be replaced with the E-clutch as soon as I catch up to my work. The fan clutch engages too late and needs to play catch up. The coolant temp started to reach the "M" at which time I had to slow down.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Anything is possible. You would think putting over 2k miles on and an oil/filter change would have cleaned out any debris? Before I left on my trip, I changed the oil.

I found a vendor that was selling liquid filled 1.5" fuel gauge, so I replaced the cracked one. The fuel pressure was set at 85lbs and I left it there. I didn't want to touch anything since the truck was running fine.

I got back last night. The return trip was smooth. Averaged 10 mpg towing 22k-23k. The BASB turbo is unbelievable. Very few times I had to drop out of OD. I set the cruise at 70 mph which is 1850 rpms. When going up a rolling hill, boost comes up to 20lbs. If I needed to drop it into 3rd, boost would be at 30lbs. EGTs were very managable, never went over 1200* in OD. This was in DynoProven's Heavy Tow Program. Trans temp never went over 150*.

If it was any warmer out, the truck would have overheated pulling long grades in on the PA Turnpike. The fan clutch will be replaced with the E-clutch as soon as I catch up to my work. The fan clutch engages too late and needs to play catch up. The coolant temp started to reach the "M" at which time I had to slow down.

Billy T.
[email protected]
whats an e-clutch? and what thermostat you runnin?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.