Lost torx bolt under oil pump, how fugged am I

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
I dropped one of the torx bolts to the oil pump under it. What are my chances of finding it with a magnetic tool?

Strokethis34

Reaction score
If it went under the pump. It's going to the cam. Probably could get it easily be used its a larger bolt. If it dropped where the stc fitting is, pull the rear cover.

webb06

Reaction score
I would pull the pump if its not already out to see if you can visibly see it. I would also drain the oil and get a magnet in the pan to see if it made its way down there, hopefully it did.

Otherwise your in for some work

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Looked with a light and fished for an hour with a magnet, no luck. Gonna have to pull the pan and pray it's in the bottom.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Chances are it's sitting on the upper oil pan, aka windage tray. You can low pan in body just enough to work a magnet around in there.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I think you mean pull the motor, pull the pan, and pray its in the bottom

You can pull the pans in 6.0's pretty easily without pulling the engine. I jack up the engine about 3/4" and I have plenty of room to remove it after pulling the pickup tube as well.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
My buddy did this the other day drop it down back cover use a magnet and it's pretty easy cause back cover Is aluminum

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Like CTC DEEZUL said, I'm pretty sure it was on that upper pan. I went and bought a 24" flexible magnet tool and gave it a small curve, ran it down parallel to the firewall and then swept it back and forth SLOWLY so I could hear the snap when it made contact. I'm going to guess it was 3-4" toward the front of the motor; had a straight magnet before and would have never gotten it with that.

Jomax

Reaction score
I bet the feeling you got after you heard the "click",was the best feeling ever. It happens to the best of us. NICE save!

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wasn't looking forward to jacking the motor up and dropping the pan, it's been low 20's and high teens here...sucks not having a shop or large enough garage.

Cold Roller

Reaction score
It is amazing where parts end up and get found and on the flip side, don't get found. You probably have a bigger smile on your face than your Chucky avatar!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
those flex magnets are the best thing ever... I've got two on my work truck. I fished a lock washer out of a 12v Cummins head one time. It would have been bad news if I hadn't. I've also fished bolts out of P-pumps with them. I know the satisfaction of that click all too well :eek:

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I think i have as many bolts floating around inside the unibody rails of my jeep than are on the thing. Lol

Good save bro!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.