Low viscosity hydraulic fluid in 5R110?

09stroker

Reaction score
Ok so I had my tranny replaced under warranty maybe about a year and a half ago. Slowly the shifting was becoming very erratic and would buck pretty bad to the point I couldn't go over 3/4 throttle. But cruising around it would shift PERFECT.

Finally got fed up so I started checking things out and discovered Ford overfilled it by 6 quarts. Got it back to spec and went for a ride and it helped some but still couldn't go wide open.

Then for ****s and giggles (I have a built tranny sitting in a barn)I wanted to see how it would run with some JD Hy-Guard low viscosity hydraulic fluid because from what I read (may be wrong or right) trans fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid with friction modifiers added and is very similar in viscosities. The Hy-guard is also supposed to withstand heat alot better.

As of now it's been a couple months and 5,500 miles and it fixed all the crazy things it was doing. I'm wondering if it is ok for the tranny long term and if I can run it in my new tranny when I put it in later this month. A gallon is only $16 at my local John Deere.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get as much details and info out.
Thanks

farm boy

Reaction score
No experience with running the Hydraulic fluid in a truck like yours, but were running it in my brothers 3/4 ton chevy 4x4. It hasn't missed a beat. 140k on the stock automatic, pulling trailers and getting beat on. Hyd. fluid has been in it for about 15k and the trans is still acting like new.

I read over on CompD about quite a few guy's running it in the transmissions of their race trucks.

I vote to leave it in there...

09stroker

Reaction score
I'm leaving it in the factory one I'm running now, my main concern is for the new one.

Last edited:

outacntrl

Reaction score
I know of some gen 1 lightnings running that in the e4od with real good luck as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

vatejf

Reaction score
My friend that owns the local trans shop recomends it in all his built up allisions and also runs it in his personal 4l80e behind a 1200+ horse ls in a C5 vette.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Do you have to get it from JD? Whats it cost a gallon and did you mix it 50/50 with regular ATF. I have been wanting to do this for a while just havent had the time. My biggest issue that I want to take care of is getting a lower stall. There seems to be more stall latly in my TC.

Good info
Mike

09stroker

Reaction score
Yes they carry it at any JD. Down here it's $16 a gallon and as for mixing it I dropped 2.5 gallons and added 2.5gallons IIRC. Not sure what the total capacity of the system is.

Last edited:

09stroker

Reaction score
I think I'm just gonna run 100% hydro in the new one and see how it goes. Hopefully won't be calling Elite for a rebuild LOL

TurboM700

Reaction score
I think I'm just gonna run 100% hydro in the new one and see how it goes. Hopefully won't be calling Elite for a rebuild LOL

They guys over on Comp D said not to do this as it can be to thick in cold temps and cause shifting issues. Of course this is also on 25yr old dodge technology.

I will be trying 50/50 next week when I flush and change the filter on mind.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
They guys over on Comp D said not to do this as it can be to thick in cold temps and cause shifting issues. Of course this is also on 25yr old dodge technology.

I will be trying 50/50 next week when I flush and change the filter on mind.

If you get synthetic hydraulic fluid it will be able to run till -10 or so. Or new holland makes some blue **** that will be good in cold temps too. But it's pricey

09stroker

Reaction score
Are you sure they weren't talking about normal hydraulic fluid and not low viscosity? I guess it really doesn't matter as it doesn't get that cold here in south Texas LOL

09stroker

Reaction score
http://https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/4968_fb_HyGardsTransmissionHydraulic.htm
If you go down to Physical and Chemical Properties, the table shows the viscosities for the low viscosity fluid at different temps. It is only slightly thicker than Mercon LV.

841a0869.jpg

Doesn't seem like it would be a problem especially once it get near operating temps.

Latest posts

Members online