Lowering Leaf Sprung 4x4...

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I've been searching around trying to find different ways to lower a leaf sprung 4x4. I see alot of pictures but noone really sharing exactly what they did to achieve it. I have some ideas but I'd like to see what others have done.

Anyways I'm trying to lower my truck as low as I possibly can without 4 links or frame notching. Lets ignore ride quality at the moment. And I obviously know about removing the rear blocks. What have you guys done? Spring codes, removing leaves, etc. Ratchet straps don't count. LOL

Feel free to share pics.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I know of a few people that have put in Excursion front leafs and that will drop you about an inch or so.

I talked with Marty at Truck Toys and he said that OUO is going to be releasing a 4x4 coilover conversion kit for the 99-04 trucks and it will allow you to adjust ride height up and down 2". Below is a pic of the prototype and will include OUO adjustable trac bars, and piggyback shocks for the rear.

2474412220073017518S600x600Q85.jpg

It comes with a hefty price tag and I'm sure it will be worth every penny but, I've opted to design my own and hopefully I'll have something built and on my truck by the beginning of summer and it will be much more pocket friendly. I'm hoping to keep it all under $1500 in materials. Shocks and time will be the kicker here.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Would excursion springs handle differently from f259 springs?? Assuming both are diesel models. An inch under factory ride height? Id imagine pulling the rear block out then, would make it almost perfect height wise, since it seems when you pull the block on a stock front spring truck, it sits a bit "ass down". How about clocking the pinion angle to get rid of any vibration once it's lowered? I think it would look good, trucks like wojo on this forum, need to bring their trucks down maybe another inch to be perfect.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
My idea was to run Excursion springs up front. Now I know they will be absurdly close to the bumpstops but I was entertaining the idea of integrating a hydraulic bumpstop instead of the factory rubber ones. That should soften up any big hits I would think.

I don't know off hand what code rear springs I have but they seem to be ALOT higher than other stock Super Duty's in my area. At the moment I have 5" OUO traction blocks which I will be pulling out and switching to their bolt on mount. What code rear spring would be the "lowest" or "best" for a lowered application? I really want to run a 305/50/20 tire and have it look semi proportional.

As far as the OUO coil over conversion kit, I would love that. But i'm sure the price isn't gonna be too friendly.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Nope. The lift has been on my truck for almost 5 years now. I had to get rid of my side steps once I got my traction bars and now it just irritates me getting in and out. I'm short. LOL Also a pain to load heavy things into the bed. Truck rarely sees dirt. I only use 4 wheel drive at the track. It just makes sense.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Nope. The lift has been on my truck for almost 5 years now. I had to get rid of my side steps once I got my traction bars and now it just irritates me getting in and out. I'm short. LOL Also a pain to load heavy things into the bed. Truck rarely sees dirt. I only use 4 wheel drive at the track. It just makes sense.

True, that's why I've Got a 2wd lol

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'm still looking for some Excursion springs. I know it'll probably ride terrible but it'll be worth it. LOL

Wojo

Reaction score
I was thinking either excursion springs or gasser springs. I would love to go an inch lower in front. Just don't have the money for the springs right now. Especially if they don't work out.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking as well. Excursion springs up front and no block in the rear, but i dont know how the X springs will hold up to the weight of the 7.3.

jngreen

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking as well. Excursion springs up front and no block in the rear, but i dont know how the X springs will hold up to the weight of the 7.3.

FWIW, there are excursions with 7.3's, but some people find the springs to be a little soft. You might find the bumpstops on big bumps, but thats not uncommon on a lowered vehicle. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Agjake11

Reaction score
I was thinking either excursion springs or gasser springs. I would love to go an inch lower in front. Just don't have the money for the springs right now. Especially if they don't work out.

Exactly how I feel.

Already level with 1" rear block instead of 2". Would love another nice all around

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'll let you guys know how it is. I definitely plan on using them. Truck is already torn apart. Just gotta find some springs. Anyone got any?

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I have an excursion and would swap springs with you. We each pay for shipping one way. I've been looking at swapping to SD springs in my excursion, for the reason mentioned.

I just can't be without it more than a day - my truck is torn down too! I need the X to get to work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.