machine shop for 7.3

spongebob915

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a forged rod motor and rebuilding it. Just trying to get an idea of the cost to have the engine sent to a machine shop .
I just called UCF IN pa. and they said it would be around $5500 - $6000 that price seems pretty high . Been told from others it should be around $1500 just for the machine work . The price from UCF included the new rebuild kit gaskets, pistons.....

Looking for a good shop in the MD,PA.VA, AREA..

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
6k will probably get you a fully assembled longblock with studs, comp springs, and chrommolly pushrods shipped to your door.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
Ya that seems really high I know the one near me I was told to go to is 1800 for machine work plus a overhaul kit which from what I've seen should be about 1200 which is stock so then u add the price for studs, springs, push rods, and anything more then stock u want?

Wicked

Reaction score
I am currently having my engine rebuilt by J&E Performance engines in New Jersey. All my buddies recommended them. I will let you know how much it costs once its done and how pleased I am with it.

spongebob915

Reaction score
How much ? What you having done..

I see he has a 7.3 for sale on his site with only 90000 miles be nice if that's a forged motor. Could just throw that in without rebuilding it . Just head studs ..

Marty

Reaction score
Usually 1500-2000 in just machine shop labor for the block and heads, not together.

You'll spend another 1500-2500 in parts on the rebuild depending on what all it needs.

You'll spend another 1500-3000 in things like studs, pushrods, injectors, etc....

Then you'll spend another 1500+ to get it all put together and in the truck and running down the road.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
My local machine shop has rebuilt 7.3 forged rod powerstroke for about $4100 ready to go. VA

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Most have no idea about how to machine and build it properly. You get what you pay for. Make sure everything is balanced and all tolerances are checked. Never trust new parts or reman parts without them getting checked. correctly. For example I had a friend buy reman Ford rods and 5 of them were cracked or bent.

Good head work alone is around $1200 and that does not include porting.

Jody

neverkickn

Reaction score
Most have no idea about how to machine and build it properly. You get what you pay for. Make sure everything is balanced and all tolerances are checked. Never trust new parts or reman parts without them getting checked. correctly. For example I had a friend buy reman Ford rods and 5 of them were cracked or bent.

Good head work alone is around $1200 and that does not include porting.

Jody

This is not intended to be a smart azz jab, but are we talking about some kind of voodo here? I mean I can understand being apprehensive about using a machine shop that you don't know and trust, but shouldn't a good machinist be able to machine a block, crank and pistons back to spec?

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Maybe if they really know how to put together a good motor. I have seen way too many cheap builds that are way worse than stock. Go to the machine shop and have them show you the equipment they use to measure, balance, & verify the parts. Also make sure they are VERY clean and organized in order to insure you get the parts verified for the build.

Jody

neverkickn

Reaction score
Maybe if they really know how to put together a good motor. I have seen way too many cheap builds that are way worse than stock. Go to the machine shop and have them show you the equipment they use to measure, balance, & verify the parts. Also make sure they are VERY clean and organized in order to insure you get the parts verified for the build.

Jody

Are stock tolerances bad? I know there is more to machining a block than oil clearences but are the stock specs good?

Also how much should the rotating assembly be ballanced? and when looking at a shops equipment what equipment am I looking for? I mean I can check bearing clearences and crank/cam endplay but how do I know if the block head surfaces and cylinder bores are at the right angle? What machining equipment is percise enough to acomplish this with a dummy operator?

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The guy I use thinks the stock tolerances are way too much and he believes in making everything much tighter.

Look for computerized balance equipment, CNC machines, etc. The computerized equipment will allow much more precise tolerances.

I only trust him to verify the bores etc.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.