Maintenance Suggestions

Bigharm27

Reaction score
Hey guys I own a 2012 f250 with 47k miles on it. Been doing oil changes every 10k and fuel filters every 20k. I use bulk oil from pullpelly that is supposedly comparable to rotella. Need help with my future maintenance what fluids to change etc. what products should I use. Oil filter, oil, fuel additive etc. I have heard of Lucas and diesel kleen. Help would be awesome. Thanks

CurtisF

Reaction score
Check owner's manual for items such as coolant maintenance, etc. Follow those intervals carefully.

For filters use Motorcraft.

Do NOT use oil additive.

Use only a cetane additive for the fuel. In winter months use anti-gel/cetane additive.

Anything else and you're wasting money and/or causing problems.

Mattn

Reaction score
Check owner's manual for items such as coolant maintenance, etc. Follow those intervals carefully.

For filters use Motorcraft.

Do NOT use oil additive.

Use only a cetane additive for the fuel. In winter months use anti-gel/cetane additive.

Anything else and you're wasting money and/or causing problems.

What do you have against oil additive?

CurtisF

Reaction score
What do you have against oil additive?

99% of them are snake oil and a waste of money. Some actually create a LOT of foam issues and other problems. Some can even cause premature engine wear, basically reversing what the oil is supposed to do.

No person or company can prove that their oil additive product can definitively prolong engine life out in the real world. Plenty of engines go hundreds of thousands, or even a million miles plus, with nothing more than normal oil changes and no additives, while others have gone fewer miles with religious oil additive use...... and vice versa.

No automotive manufacturer recommends oil additives either. If they were really that good, someone out there would have put it in the owner's manual as a recommendation or a requirement.

Mattn

Reaction score
No automotive manufacturer wants your engine to last a million miles. They want your engine to last till warranty is up then sell you a new one.

Bigharm27

Reaction score
And I'm sure fuel additive isn't in the manual but without it manly failures occur. Just saying

CurtisF

Reaction score
No automotive manufacturer wants your engine to last a million miles. They want your engine to last till warranty is up then sell you a new one.
Yes and that's exactly why engines last longer than they did decades ago is because of that kind of thinking. :doh:

And I'm sure fuel additive isn't in the manual but without it manly failures occur. Just saying
Actually fuel additive is mentioned in the owners manual.... Cetane booster and anti-gel.

And I'm curious to know exactly what "manly failures" are attributed to not using fuel additives?

Bigharm27

Reaction score
Lol. Many failures is what I meant to say. Ever since they took the sulfur out of diesel fuel the lubrication has went way down. I see it first hand in my dads shop. Big trucks and light diesels.

SuperdutyTD

Reaction score
Engines not designed to run on ULSD have really been hit hard when everything was switched over. Old fuel pumps, lines, etc were all designed around the lubricating sulphur in diesel.

I've heard a lot of good things about archoil and will be trying it out in my 6.0 Ex and new 6.7. More lube is never a bad thing!

As for 10K oil changes I would say it's time to shorten that up, especially if you're not running full synthetic. The oil gets dirty from regens and I believe the 6.7's also use oil squirters to cool the pistons?

Bigharm27

Reaction score
Congrats on ur new truck. That platinum trim sure is nice. I think I might try royal purple but that stuff is closer to 9 dollars a quart. But I want my motor to last. And hopefully next week I'll be running a straight pipe so I can run 2 stroke oil as my fuel additive��

CurtisF

Reaction score
Lol. Many failures is what I meant to say. Ever since they took the sulfur out of diesel fuel the lubrication has went way down. I see it first hand in my dads shop. Big trucks and light diesels.

Engines not designed to run on ULSD have really been hit hard when everything was switched over. Old fuel pumps, lines, etc were all designed around the lubricating sulphur in diesel.

Sulfur has nothing to do with lubricity. Sulfur is not even a lubricant.

The manufacturing process used in the U.S. to produce diesel fuel strips most of the natural lubricity out. Fuel companies have been required to put additives in diesel fuel to supplement lubricity to meet federal and manufacturer requirements.

Here's what most people don't realize..... this has not been limited to ULSD. This has been going on for decades and decades now.

Modern diesel engines run just fine with diesel fuel that meets federal requirements. Now with that said, is it possible to get diesel fuel that doesn't meet minimum lubricity requirements? Of course. This is where using cetane booster can help, and just about any manufacturer will mention such products in the owner's manual.

So it won't hurt anything to run cetane boost. It's a fairly safe "what-if" in case you get diesel that doesn't have the proper additive pack put in from the fuel company.

However, there is nothing you can run that will protect from bad fuel. If you get bad fuel and the contaminates get past the filters, it can cause catastrophic damage. No bottle on the market will prevent such issues. Yet this is where the vast majority of fuel related failures happen.

It's almost impossible to find a truck that has had a failure due to not running cetane boost. That would require constant fill up of sub-standard fuel for years before it becomes a problem. Hence why running fuel additives are not a requirement for manufactures in terms of honoring warranty repairs.

In short... cetane boost/anti-gel is fine. There are many good products out there. Is it required? No, and most likely it won't actually provide substantially measured results in terms of engine longevity.

Anything else such as alternative fuel additives, oil additives, etc.... snake oil. Don't waste your money.

dizzle

Reaction score
Does anyone change oil following the dash cluster? Or know how long it is set for? I've gone about 12000 kms still says ok on dash

Bigharm27

Reaction score
No sizzle u need to follow set increments and not follow the dash. And I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with any one. I feel that adding 2 stroke oil to my truck will make it last longer. I might even add a little cetane booster. But I feel my truck will last longer with it

CurtisF

Reaction score
Does anyone change oil following the dash cluster? Or know how long it is set for? I've gone about 12000 kms still says ok on dash

That's all I ever follow is the oil life monitor on any of my vehicles now. There really isn't any good reason to change the oil any sooner than what the oil life monitor indicates.

The oil life monitor takes into account several different factors, so your driving style will determine when it tells you it's time to change the oil.

CurtisF

Reaction score
No sizzle u need to follow set increments and not follow the dash. And I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with any one. I feel that adding 2 stroke oil to my truck will make it last longer. I might even add a little cetane booster. But I feel my truck will last longer with it

Ok now I'm confused. You started this thread asking advice on maintaining these trucks, but won't listen to any advice, and instead are giving your own..... including running 2-stroke oil.

Don't put 2-stroke oil in a 6.7L.

CurtisF

Reaction score
All,

Does anyone out there have a preference or recommendation between the PM-22 or the Stanadyne (or other brand)?

Either one is fine. The big brands are all very similar. Always run the recommended dosage on the bottle.

Especially when it comes to anti-gel. That is one product where a little extra can cause more harm than good.

Latest posts

Members online