Making the Up Pipes a little more simple......

03cody

Reaction score
So I have the engine out of my truck currently so that I can do headstuds, pistons and the whole nine. Being as this truck is already ******* I was thinking of getting rid of the egr pipe on the up pipes. I was going to cut it off and weld the up pipe back up.

This of course would make me lose my backpressure sensor so I was wondering if there would be anything wrong with drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold to put the exhaust backpressure sensor in it like in a 6.0?

Codydiesel

Reaction score
As long as there is tube coming out of the manifold so it can dissipate the heat then you will be fine, the back pressure sensor can't be mounted directly to the manifold or the heat will melt the sensor.

capt dong

Reaction score
Unbolt crossover egr pipe from up pipe. If theres a egr block plate relocate to where the pipe was and tap a hole for fitting sensor on the plate. Its a lot less work.

Rubenk

Reaction score
EBP sensor in the manifold is actually one of the best ways to go with it. Just make sure you use the tube, and mount it. I used a stud off my u-pipe bracket to hold the tube securely.

Shipmate

Reaction score
PRO Flow now makes a UPpipe with a bung for the EBP. Plus the pipes are cheap Like under $300 for both. Call Rudy's. I just ordered a set today.

6fodays

Reaction score
Bd diesels up pipes and manis have a bung for the ebp sensor as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
If you go ahead and put 6.0 manifolds on it you will have the bung already there and better flow. It's pretty easy to build the up pipes to work with 6.0 manifolds you will need some old 6.0 egr pipes for the ends, 2 bellows, and your stock turbo flanges.

footlong70

Reaction score
I also vote for bd up pipe/mani kit. I would not waste any time on stock 6.4 upipes which are known to let go. I have yet to see a stock set come off without even a small amount of soot on the bellows. And with the motor out, now is the time. It is a royal pain changing manifold/pipes later on with the motor and cab back on.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I also vote for bd up pipe/mani kit. I would not waste any time on stock 6.4 upipes which are known to let go. I have yet to see a stock set come off without even a small amount of soot on the bellows. And with the motor out, now is the time. It is a royal pain changing manifold/pipes later on with the motor and cab back on.

they are so nice ! we keep them fully stocked, as they are great bang for the buck .

03cody

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll look into it more. I just figured if I could weld the up pipe closed and get rid of all the egr bs then I'd save some money but if the stockers are known to let go then maybe I should get some different pipes.

I also have another question that is completely unrelated to exhaust up pipes.....I want to tear this engine down and have it cleaned and honed out......can I remove the crank and cam and be able to line it all back up without that outrageously expesnive tool and not have any problems? Or, should I just leave both of those in, run a hone through the cylinders and run it?

Latest posts

Members online