Manual/Automatic Computer difference

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if its an auto or manual, idm has nothing to do with trans.

A pcm does matter on the trans

Sent from the left lane with the hammer down...

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
3rd gear with no TC is "limp mode" IIRC. You need to get a auto PCM if you're running an auto. You can run a auto PCM in a manual but the throttle will usually be touchy.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Well I bought the truck in that condition. But that describes the problems exactly. Do I need to go to ford to get a PCM or where can I get one?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Well I bought the truck in that condition. But that describes the problems exactly. Do I need to go to ford to get a PCM or where can I get one?

I would check O'reillys if you can't find one local, I know some people that have had good luck with their remans. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper than Ford will be.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
3rd gear with no TC is "limp mode" IIRC. You need to get a auto PCM if you're running an auto. You can run a auto PCM in a manual but the throttle will usually be touchy.
Fourth gear with no torque converter lock is what the trans will do with a manual trans PCM. That's the default if there is no input. There is no "limp mode" for the transmission.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
So if I have a ts chip on it should I try and cross reference numbers on it to an auto one to make sure the ts works? Or just say screw it and get my chip reburned?

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Where is the PCM located on the truck? I think I'm getting computers mixed up, the IDM is the little silver box a six pos chip plugs into right? Where is the other computer? I need to get this figured out quick since I leave for Ohio next Friday

78f100

Reaction score
The pcm is behind the e brake, its what the chip plugs into. IDM is a silver box under the hood. You have to pull the inner finder to remove the pcm but can change chips from behind the e brake.

I did a zf5 swap and kept my auto pcm because of the chip, it works great but you cant use a manual pcm in a auto.

Last edited:

true98jeep

Reaction score
Cross reference to find what PCM numbers will work on your truck I just had to replace the PCM on our 01 napa sells them for around 350 if you an find one the best deal I got was on eBay from a place in Texas for 275 shipped and it has worked great even has a warranty shoot me a if you have any other questions

Latest posts

Members online