MBRP uppipe issues and leaks

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I installed some new uppipes this week and I was double checking everything and noticed the mating flange to exhaust manifold is leaking on both sides.

The install as a whole was a PAIN IN THE A$$!! Nothing bolted up smoothly and it took plenty of "customizing" to get things lined up.

I had to use a dremel to notch the pedestal to turbo tab locations and I had to enlarge the exhaust housing bolt hole.

I then had to use a small thickness washer to raise the pedestal up about 3 mm THEN I had to bend the heat shield bracket and heat shield.

It required me doing all three things to get the turbo and pipes to line up. AFTER and only after doing all that things dropped into place. The whole time the uppipe mating flange to exhaust manifold never moved, the assembly rested on the manifold the whole time leading me to believe it had a good mating surface.

In the end I'm not sure how to deal w/ this? Anyone else run into this. I'm emailing the vendor for ideas but I'm perplexed at the difficulty I ran into. Taking into account I have a KC turbo w/ a Rudys delete pipe and MBRP uppipes could be the reason the set as a whole didn't quite drop in place.

Ideas????

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76

04cr450

Reaction score
Strange. We just put a set on our company 6.0 and fit better than the oem ones.. no joke.. I'd call mbrp, they are a good company so I would hope they would send u out another set.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Strange. We just put a set on our company 6.0 and fit better than the oem ones.. no joke.. I'd call mbrp, they are a good company so I would hope they would send u out another set.

I emailed the vendor and I'm waiting to hear their response.

First time installing a 6.0 turbo or up pipes?

I had the factory units on/off several times and factory-factory everything always lined right up, 100%. Several months back trying to use the Rudy's delete pipe w/ the factory uppipes and the KC turbo things didn't line up properly and I had to mod the factory passenger pipe and reuse it to get things to line up.

When I was looking at the MBRP uppipes, it seems the the flange-to-exhaust manifold flare is a little smaller than OEM which has me thinking that could be the cause of the leaking. The factory convolutes crapped out thus the reason for the MBRP set.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Weird, ive only used Ford replacement up pipes/y pipes on 6.0's, but have installed many different brand egr deletes, and never had fitment issues.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
The KC turbo wouldn't make a difference since it is utilizing the factory center section and turbine housing (mounting points). Looks like you have the different compressor housing, but that isn't going to affect the install.

Not sure what the Rudy's delete pipe is, but I am assuming you mean the down pipe?

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
If there is an issue with our egr pipe please, let me know and I will get it taken care of for you. Haven't seen an issue with any of our egr pipes since they have been out and we have moved many of them.

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Weird, ive only used Ford replacement up pipes/y pipes on 6.0's, but have installed many different brand egr deletes, and never had fitment issues.

If there is something odd or weird it always finds my projects. The new hubs arrived from ford w/ the ABS wiring having a short somewhere in the NIB harness. Shop had to use the old harness. My original KC blew oil out the exhaust and the EGR delete leaked coolant at the intake oring. FML :pointlaugh:

The KC turbo wouldn't make a difference since it is utilizing the factory center section and turbine housing (mounting points). Looks like you have the different compressor housing, but that isn't going to affect the install.

Not sure what the Rudy's delete pipe is, but I am assuming you mean the down pipe?

Ok but I still had to do some modding, not sure why.
The the delete pipe was referencing the EGR delete.

If there is an issue with our egr pipe please, let me know and I will get it taken care of for you. Haven't seen an issue with any of our egr pipes since they have been out and we have moved many of them.

Thanks Will, fwiw, I wasn't callin you guys out. I was just thinking a mix-n-match of parts could have been a factor, but who knows. The egr did leak coolant several months after the install at the J tube/intake oring but I had a spare lying around so, its all good :blitzed:

When the egr set up was purchased originally it would not, 100% absolutely, no matter what I did, work correctly w/ the remainder of the factory system I called several months back and you guys made it right :thumbsup: I have used you guys for multiple purchases and my questions are always answered and I feel solid w/ the buy. YOU even talked me out of spending a bunch of extra money on my 6.4 after I told you of my goals and ideas. A big HELL YEAH to you and Rudys for making your customers your #1 priority!! :rockon::rockon:

I had the delete pipe still unused lying around so I decide to try and use it w/ the MBRP set up. I think I just have weird luck. I can rebuild a rear axle, install a detroit locker and get things to go on the 1st try. I go to install new shocks and I get sent the wrong shocks, or like last week, rockauto sends me the wrong compressor. RIGHT box (6.0 part #), wrong AC in the box (5.4 part #) and I have to leave the next day on a 2000+ mile trip.

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
Thanks Will, fwiw, I wasn't callin you guys out. I was just thinking a mix-n-match of parts could have been a factor, but who knows. The egr did leak coolant several months after the install at the J tube/intake oring but I had a spare lying around so, its all good :blitzed:

When the egr set up was purchased originally it would not, 100% absolutely, no matter what I did, work correctly w/ the remainder of the factory system I called several months back and you guys made it right :thumbsup: I have used you guys for multiple purchases and my questions are always answered and I feel solid w/ the buy. YOU even talked me out of spending a bunch of extra money on my 6.4 after I told you of my goals and ideas. A big HELL YEAH to you and Rudys for making your customers your #1 priority!! :rockon::rockon:

I had the delete pipe still unused lying around so I decide to try and use it w/ the MBRP set up. I think I just have weird luck. I can rebuild a rear axle, install a detroit locker and get things to go on the 1st try. I go to install new shocks and I get sent the wrong shocks, or like last week, rockauto sends me the wrong compressor. RIGHT box (6.0 part #), wrong AC in the box (5.4 part #) and I have to leave the next day on a 2000+ mile trip.

I didn't that you were buddy, I just hate for something to go one for a long period of time and that could cause you pull your hair out over something that we can take care of in a matter of seconds that's all. If you need me to get you a new one and a set of our H/D up pipes (that come with a lifetime warranty) give me a shout and I will get you taken care of man.

Latest posts

Members online