Mighty Whitey's build thread-MTW

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Ok, so its about time to get Mighty Whitey back in the power game. The end goal is a reliable 550+ RWHP capable of everything from daily driving in town with the wife and kids, towing heavy (14k+), hitting the track/dyno at events to cruising down the highway with the family and boat in tow and the wife driving. I want an all around good, reliable, useful truck thats capable of making respectable power and still doing everything it could from the factory, just better.

She began life as a 2006 extended cab, long bed, 4x4 w/ FX4 package. I've Added 17" Gear Alloy 715c Recoil wrapped in BridgeStone Dueler AT's (35's), a 2.5" front leveling kit and a replaced the stock 2" rear block with a SuperLift 3" block along with Ranch RS 5000 shocks all around and a Rancho RS 9000 steering stabilizer. She has 60,xxx miles on her right now.

Here's what she's got now-
ARP head studs w/ OEM gaskets
MTW stage 1
MBRP 3.5" DP into a 4" straight pipe
S&B intake
River City Diesel EGR delete
Quick Tricks 58V FICM
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
SCT Livewire w/ tunes from damn near every tuner out there
AIS boost activated, dual nozzle water/meth kit w/ 6 gallon tank mounted in the toolbox
GoGo diesel direct clutch solenoid
ELC coolant
DieselSite coolant filtration kit
Metal cold side CAC tube
HPS CAC boots and SS clamps
Strokers Unlimited Y-pipe w/ upgraded bellows, ceramic coated along with the River City delete pipe
Blue spring upgrade
EDGE CTS w/ EGT probe
GlowShift Fuel pressure (0-100psi) and Boost (0-60) gauges
Innovative Diesel upgraded HFCM drain plug
Quick Tricks Billet Oil and Fuel filter caps (polished)
Polished oil filler cap
Powder coated and hydro graphiced CAC tubes
Harley headlights

I'm sure Im forgetting something. I'll update this list if I think of anything else.

What she's gonna get-
Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler relocation kit
Twisted Diesel Stage 2 trans with billet shafts, triple disc billet converter and upgraded solenoid pack
Regulated return (brand to be determined)
Beans Diesel Performance sump
Air Dog 150 feeding the HFCM or a new high pressure pump
Warren Diesel Injectors- Probably 175/30's but maybe upgrading to 190/30-50's
Ported intake manifold
Pusher intake elbow w/ 4 ports
Turbo will be by MTW. Maybe the MTW PMax and we'll undoubtedly try other MTW turbo's with this combination

What she might get-
4.10 ring and pinion set front and rear
Detroit Trutrac in the rear
Nitrous

If anyone can think of anything I've missed, let me know. I've added some pictures of the now for comparison to later. Hopefully I'll have plenty of pictures throughout the build. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress. It won't happen over night, but should be interesting to see it all come together. Thanks guys and bring on the comments, criticism or support.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the truck.

truck01_zps3e980a17.jpg

trock07_zps36460628.jpg

mirrors2_zps523da9a1.jpg

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I got the trans today and already had the BulletProof kit and sump. The turbo is gonna be a Hybrid for the time being, billet 64.7mm wheel and I had the compressor cover coated and hydro-graphics applied.

trans_zpse38e13b5.jpg

trans2_zps05c50025.jpg

trans3_zps8749d78e.jpg

trans4_zps2568c8f9.jpg

Twisted Excursion

Reaction score
Good looking truck let me know how the trans turns out for looking forward to see this truck with our trans.

Thanks

Buddy "Twisted Diesel"

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
That's a good looking truck Matt. I can't believe its only got 60k miles on it. You need more seat time buddy! I'll be watching this build.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Good looking truck let me know how the trans turns out for looking forward to see this truck with our trans.

Thanks

Buddy "Twisted Diesel"
Thanks Buddy. The trans will go in next Sunday along with the sump. Hopefully I'll get my turbo built by then and I can throw that in too. As soon as the trans is in I'm gonna do a write up. Thanks again Buddy. Twisted Diesel is top notch.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Ok, well I forgot to update this thread. The trans is in and it is outstanding. Awesome product so far. It's got about 1500 miles on it and is performing perfect.

The sump also went in and I was noticing my fuel pressure stayed much more consistent when I'd open the truck up. I used to drop from ~70psi at idle to around ~40 psi at WOT. Now it's holding at around ~55psi at WOT. Well, at least it was before my fuel pressure sensor took a dump. Right now it's showing 80psi regardless of what's going on. It even holds 10 psi with the truck off. The new gauge and sensor should be here shortly though.

I've also built a new turbo. It's not a production MTW turbo, but I really think it should be. It's a great running , responsive , turbo that provides awesome power and low EGT's. I'm not giving specifics yet, but when the time comes , I'll post up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
80 psi of fuel pressure is excessive, no Buenos on nozzles

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
80 psi of fuel pressure is excessive, no Buenos on nozzles

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

No , it doesn't have 80 psi of fuel pressure. The fuel psi gauge is broken. It reads a minimum of 10 psi at all times. The truck hasn't been run for 3 days and of you open the door and look at the gauge without ever putting a key in the ignition, it's saying 10 psi of pressure.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys used to run the Gillette fuel pressure spring that pushed pressure up to 100psi. I have recently heard that 55- 60psi with a regulated return makes the most power FWIW. Trucks consistently picked up power on the dyno adjusting down to around 55psi.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
So the trans is holding up great. I've been beating on it lately.
photo-6_zpsd38ac406.jpg

Got a new turbo on it as well. Its one I put together and I'm begging Adrian to build it. Its runnning great and the truck feels stronger than ever.
turbo3_zps1cb27c01.jpg

engine001_zps9ad47f75.jpg

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Good to see man. Glad you are happy with it.

Thanks Man. I'm very happy. Its night and day over stock. You guys have a great product and super customer service. I'm sending everyone your way for sure.

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
Thanks Man. I'm very happy. Its night and day over stock. You guys have a great product and super customer service. I'm sending everyone your way for sure.

Thanks buddy. Let me know if I can ever do anything else for ya.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
BTW, I picked this up today. Needs fuel lines in the valley and two batteries.
photo-7_zpse1834be9.jpg

$300 for the truck. The inside is dirty as hell, but it can be cleaned. 360,000miles and its a 97'.

Latest posts

Members online