mild or hot street build?

PSDEng

Reaction score
Where's the proof a cam is worth it??

Agreed.

It better be dang worth it to sacrifice the integrity of your head seal to tear the motor down to put it in, then getting fire rings cut into your head so you don't end up tearing it down again after your first wot run.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Where's the proof a cam is worth it??

Where's the proof a turbo works? What are you using to quantify worth? Several trucks that were cammed and had some porting done on the heads to help spoolup and egts. I'm sure Matt R custom ground one and then didn't.test it flopped it on the open market just to turn a quick buck.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Agreed.

It better be dang worth it to sacrifice the integrity of your head seal to tear the motor down to put it in, then getting fire rings cut into your head so you don't end up tearing it down again after your first wot run.

I'm not a puller, therefore I may have a different viewpoint than yourself but given the thread is about a street truck it is intended for gearheads stg 1 cam to help streetrucks with egts, spoolup, etc...I do agree with assessing the risk of breaking a seasoned hg seal.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I suppose I just have yet to see empirical evidence that anybody's cam, not just Matt's, has been proven give enough of a gain to be worth the tear down. I'm not picking on Matt, heck I'll be using one of his cams, but to me it seems like there are other routes to travel to help with spool up and egts before a cam. BUT, if that's the OP's choice I'm not going to say it's a bad one, just different from mine!

brian89

Reaction score
2 different answers about this and as a dedicated dd/street truck the answer is no a cam in not worth it, but if it were to be a full build race/street truck then yes, correct? And do the heads have to be taken off to install a cam or not?

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
I made 600 hp on a stock cam heads 250s and a 66mm... Good spool egts were manageable. These trucks need a better Injection system for high hp not a different cam grind

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Not bashing Matt at all about his cam, but i ran one and not sure it made that much of a difference in power, but it sure did have some low EGT's towing. Thats where he said the cam would shine the most. In a (about) 400hp towing tune i never really had to go over half throttle pulling even 25,000 pounds and the EGT's would stay right around 1000* until i really got into it hard just to see if they would get hot

TyCorr

Reaction score
I suppose I just have yet to see empirical evidence that anybody's cam, not just Matt's, has been proven give enough of a gain to be worth the tear down. I'm not picking on Matt, heck I'll be using one of his cams, but to me it seems like there are other routes to travel to help with spool up and egts before a cam. BUT, if that's the OP's choice I'm not going to say it's a bad one, just different from mine!

Not bashing Matt at all about his cam, but i ran one and not sure it made that much of a difference in power, but it sure did have some low EGT's towing. Thats where he said the cam would shine the most. In a (about) 400hp towing tune i never really had to go over half throttle pulling even 25,000 pounds and the EGT's would stay right around 1000* until i really got into it hard just to see if they would get hot

Fair enough. I would include one if I were to do a full build. I also know that our injection system is a big limitation. I like the sound of the low egts while towing.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score

Your 1/4 times tell a different tale IMHO. Im sorry but 250/80s and you ran high 12s. That puts you close to numbers guys are doing with 200% nozzles.....

The difference is Cam and head porting.

Black 02

Reaction score
I had injector problems with remans on my build, but FFD had my back and made everything OK. I had 1,maybe 2 injector issues and they sent me 3 injectors.

Yep, they checked mine out and got them back in no time when I had a smoking issue.

Full Force will take care of you.

Sometimes I wish I lived back near all these guys.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.