Minimum FRP. Crank no start.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Just finishing up on putting the truck back together from the deer incident. While it was down I went ahead and installed studs in the head. Anyway its been in a running state for a week or so just wasnt driveable yet untill yesterday. It has had about 2 hours of idle time on it. I took it down the road and back and opened it up once, did great. When I got back and let it idle for a minute it just pettered out and died. Long crank and start then petters out and dies and wont restart or maybe start/die again. Now heres my question. What is the minimum cranking fuel rail pressure? I know 6.0/7.3 has a min before it fires the injectors but what about the 6.4? I have 4400-4500 while cranking then all of a sudden it starts and jumps up to 9-10000 for a second truck dies and frp drops. My AE is showing 1600 for the pulse width. What am I missing? sorry for the long post but Im new to the 6.4, I can fix a 7.3/6.0 with my eyes closed. Any help?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Any codes?

What is your KOEO FRP reading?

Can you check your base fuel pressure?

You said you whacked a deer, did you reset the inertia switch? It's in the right lower kick panel under the glovebox.

fordman2121

Reaction score
KOEO is 0
I changed filters and while off i keyed it on and it refilled the bowl in a hurry. But didnt check psi.
I didnt reset it as it still ran after that and drove a mile to a lot and it has ran for a few hours since.

Is the Frp that Im seeing just a substitued value like the 6.0/7.3 would do when unplugging the ICP sensor?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
If I recall rightly the FRP will go to like 36500 when the sensor is unplugged.

Can you monitor VCV and PCV duty cycles during cranking?

fordman2121

Reaction score
I can not monitor pcv or vcv. I did get it to restart today after a long crank and it idles perfect even took it down my drive and half way back. Rail pressure hit 25500 when i punched it real fast. But after that it started to not rev as good everytime and then died again and wont restart. When I keyed it on to let the HFCM run I barley heard it and when it started I heard it quite well. So Im ordering an airdog II monday.

fordman2121

Reaction score
I did get the airdog put on and deleted the fuel bowl. I hooked the airdog line directly to the quick disconect to the HPFP and made a return hose directly to the return line. I have not drove the truck other then down my road and back a couple times(waiting on head lights to show up). But it has ran great so far. It primed alot quicker then the factory pump did after a filter change and this was with the high pressure rails ampty as well. The only thing I dont like is I dont have the fuel rail temp hooked up, I want to get a 't' on the return line. Ill hopefully update this week on if it holds rail pressure without another regulator.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Just updating my fuel bowl delete. I have pulled a trailer on a 24hr round trip and done numourus wot runs. I am mainting 24500 the whole time. I have no regulator other then the ADIIs. It was real easy to hook it up. Im thinking of extending the ruel temp sensor wiring and running it down to the airdog so I can see what the temp is again.

BFT

Reaction score
Hopefully it's just trapped air. I had mine run good down the street before it died after I did my fuel filters.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.