Mishimoto Silicone Boot/Coupler Kit :: Initial Impression

buck russell

Reaction score
The aftermarket industry is an interesting animal. It's an industry like none other, if you ask me...it grows at it's own pace and it's own rate. There really is no rhyme or reason as to why it grows at the speed it does or in the manner in which it does.

The correlation of time and sales as shown on the graph below (reference normal product life cycle) applies to most products in most industries, but not so much the aftermarket industry.

3596449_orig.gif

As time moves forward and the price of 6.4 trucks slowly decreases, we begin to see more new products and even revisions on products which were released at the infantile stages of the 6.4 platform.

Piggybacking on my write up/review of the 6.4 radiator, I'd like to draw attention to another Mishimoto product which I think will serve this community very well...and that is the Mishimoto silicone boot/coupler kit.

Before I unpack this topic, I'd like to clarify a few points for my fellow PSA forum goers. First and foremost, I'd like to say that I have no affiliation with Mishimoto and I am not on anyone's payroll but my own. Next up, this is an unbiased review and one conducted on my own time with my own dollars. While I do work in this industry, I'm in a different segment and not one that you guys would really care much about.

Moving on to the good stuff...after my initial impressions and review of the Mishimoto radiator, I decided to have a look at the rest of their product line. Mishimoto is a company which has it's roots in cooling products and products which are beneficial to better performance. While some people are scared to purchase products from a company that doesn't have an American name, I could care less! In my humble opinion, a name is a name. The proof is in the numbers and the performance, not the name. Furthermore, after taking the nickel tour at Mishimoto, I can vouch for their dedication to product performance. They care more about delivering a product that is going to kick ass than delivering a product that looks 'cute'.

Yesterday I picked up their 08-10 6.4 Silicone Hose Kit -- it's really an intercooler coupler kit complete with clamps. As always, I get giddy and crack the box open immediately. The boxing and delivery of a product always says something about the company and the product, don't really care what you think or who you are...you notice these things. The box and packaging is excellent as is the over presentation of the product.

With that said, the kit includes: (4) Intercooler boots and (9) clamps (or at least mine did). The products included are excellent and top quality. I'm extremely satisfied with how thick and durable the boots are as they're going to have to hold 52psi of boost. I would say this kit is as nice or nicer than what you would purchase from Vibrant -- you'd probably spend more with Vibrant too!

The installation of these will commence in about a week when I do the thermostats on my truck and switch over to Shell ELC. Until then, enjoy these pictures:

10855107363_fee667238f_c.jpg

10855107723_0619e097a5_c.jpg

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up! I can't wait to see your review after you get everything installed! :D Make sure to post up some pictures of the install!

To bounce off of what 91Turbogsx said, our clamps do cover the writing when installed. So if the writing isn't to your liking, you don't have to worry! Though you may not like how the writing looks, the words are important. These boots do come with a lifetime warranty, so if you have any sort of issues with them, they are covered! :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Tyler

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Holly hell there expensive. You would think for being made in China they would be a hell of a lot less being that it only cost a couple of bucks to make..... Must be the shipping from China thats raising the cost so high.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Holly hell there expensive. You would think for being made in China they would be a hell of a lot less being that it only cost a couple of bucks to make..... Must be the shipping from China thats raising the cost so high.

Where did you see the pricing? If you looked on our website, that pricing is MSRP. If you check with our distributors, they will have the most competitive pricing available!

You get what you pay for. These intercooler boots are extremely high quality, made with 5 layers of silicone, with embedded heat resistant fibers. They also come with our DuraCore technology, which is an internal layer that prevents corrosion from fuel and oil, as well as makes them more resistant to heat and pressure. On top of all of this, these boots come with a lifetime warranty, so you won't have to worry about purchasing another set! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

buck russell

Reaction score

Another unfair assessment and blanket statement assumption that truly shows your lack of understanding with regard to products made overseas. While you may think that Chinese made products are 'junk' and thus, will be cheap. That's actually partially correct and partially incorrect. At the moment, the workforce in China is pushing for higher wages and better treatment. Therefore, inevitably, you will see a surge in pricing on the products made in Asia.

Furthermore, there are various levels of manufacturing in China. There are 'bargain basement' companies that produce utter crap and things that fall apart before they even reach Our soil. Then you have other companies which are manufacturing top quality goods. For example, Fuel's line of cast wheels is made in China and is stamped with JWL certs. Not junk by any means and a product which passes JWL certification can't be junk or it wouldn't pass. That then begs me to ask the question of where Vibrant parts are made...anyone?

While you may say that the MSRP of $230 is high, you're getting what you pay for with Mishimoto products. Sure, you may pay a little more up front but wouldn't you rather have a lifetime no bs warranty? Hell, I'd pay a few more bucks up front for something like that on everything I own. At the end of the day, to each their own.

Just remember...buy once, cry once.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up Buck. Boots do look very well constructed. Nice product!

JrStroker

Reaction score
Where did you see the pricing? If you looked on our website, that pricing is MSRP. If you check with our distributors, they will have the most competitive pricing available!

You get what you pay for. These intercooler boots are extremely high quality, made with 5 layers of silicone, with embedded heat resistant fibers. They also come with our DuraCore technology, which is an internal layer that prevents corrosion from fuel and oil, as well as makes them more resistant to heat and pressure. On top of all of this, these boots come with a lifetime warranty, so you won't have to worry about purchasing another set! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

I agree with this 110%. You get what you pay for, plus the lifetime warranty is awesome. I can't wait to get some mishimoto stuff on my truck.
Had a shrouded radiator fan for my 03 mustang GT and it was top notch!

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Another unfair assessment and blanket statement assumption that truly shows your lack of understanding with regard to products made overseas. While you may think that Chinese made products are 'junk' and thus, will be cheap. That's actually partially correct and partially incorrect. At the moment, the workforce in China is pushing for higher wages and better treatment. Therefore, inevitably, you will see a surge in pricing on the products made in Asia.

Furthermore, there are various levels of manufacturing in China. There are 'bargain basement' companies that produce utter crap and things that fall apart before they even reach Our soil. Then you have other companies which are manufacturing top quality goods. For example, Fuel's line of cast wheels is made in China and is stamped with JWL certs. Not junk by any means and a product which passes JWL certification can't be junk or it wouldn't pass. That then begs me to ask the question of where Vibrant parts are made...anyone?

While you may say that the MSRP of $230 is high, you're getting what you pay for with Mishimoto products. Sure, you may pay a little more up front but wouldn't you rather have a lifetime no bs warranty? Hell, I'd pay a few more bucks up front for something like that on everything I own. At the end of the day, to each their own.

Just remember...buy once, cry once.

Well said! :toast:

I agree with this 110%. You get what you pay for, plus the lifetime warranty is awesome. I can't wait to get some mishimoto stuff on my truck.
Had a shrouded radiator fan for my 03 mustang GT and it was top notch!

Thanks! Glad you like the fan shroud for your Mustang. :) Let me know if you have any questions about our products before you make any purchases.

Thanks,
Tyler

Latest posts

Members online