miss under acceleration/choppy idle

SDstroker

Reaction score
Since I ran out of time I am looking for ideas on what to check. Ran good when i pulled the truck in. Took old Turbo off and sat 4 weeks and installed the new Turbo and now I have a bad miss under acceleration. Rough idle too. When i took the old Turbo off i found the ipr nut in the valley. I am sure I knocked something loose. Passed buzz and failed #7 & #8 in cct. Coffee haze coming out of the fill spout. I am going to try icp sensor and make sure the ipr is clean. Clean the uvch connections. Also had codes for high circuit for.map and high heat temp for air intake temp. Any suggestions? Probably forgetting something.

SDstroker

Reaction score
I should also mention I have a slight white haze that smells like raw diesel. I get.more white smoke driving at low rpm. It reminds me alot of.the time when i knocked the injector wire off with the valve cover. I was also going to ohm the valve cover harness. Any other suggestions?

SDstroker

Reaction score
Well I took the valve covers off and #7 doesn't change the motor tone. I ohlmed the valve cover haness and and get 2.9-3.0 on all injectors. What does a guy do now? swap it with a known working injector or switch solenoids?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Sound like mine when i had 3 bad injectors. U could swap wires then run Ur tests again to see if bad cylinders stay the same for bad wiring or change for injectora

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

golfer

Reaction score
if you don't have a CEL/SES light constantly illuminated...then the wiring is fine.

the issue is going to be a mechanical issue (compression)...or a mechanical injector problem.

SDstroker

Reaction score
I will check compression tonight. If its the injector should I send just the one in or all of them?

SDstroker

Reaction score
15k all together. Its just weird when I pulled the truck in it was running great and no issues at all. Now after a turbo install I have a injector down.

SDstroker

Reaction score
Alright I haven't checked compression yet.
I kinda have a head scratcher. I put in a another IDM and now I get a p1273,p1275,p1277 & p1293. I put the old IDM back in and i get high to low side open in cylinders 2,3,4,5,6,7,8. I changed the passenger side UVCH & wiring with 2 others and come up with the same codes (high to low side open 3,5,7). The other day it passed a buzz test. So I might be ordering new valve cover harnesses and gaskets. Or I was thinking the engine harness. All the wires look good on the passenger side. Anyone have this happen?

SDstroker

Reaction score
Well compression checker is messed up so I put it back together and have no codes. I am starting to think my scanner is messed up. I did a back to back buzz test and the first time I got the p1273,p1275,p1277 & p1293, the next time it passed.
It seems to me a intermittent miss. While driving some take offs seem good and others it shakes the pickup all the way up to about 1800 rpm then smooths out. Or if I am driving along at 1500 rpm and punch it I get alot of black smoke and the truck shakes. I see no more then 15 psi of boost and 2800psi icp. After driving the truck I let it sit and idle and white smoke was gone. :shrug: Anything else I could check for you guys to help determine the problem?

SDstroker

Reaction score
Havent messed with anything more yet, I have been out of town. Hopefully Sunday I can get back at it.

TARM

Reaction score
I can see why you keep going back to the wiring given it was running fine and without pulling the VC and doing a turbo swap its now running like crap. I doubt your scanner is the issue as by all accounts something is not right with the truck. But I will say at least in my limited experience that when you start digging into these engines things that may have been working fine but were likely right on the edge of going bad or out of spec this banging and taking parts in out seems many times to push them over the edge.

I would look really carefully at the wiring that goes over the VC to the VC harness. Maybe during your work you moved it around enough to allow that last bit to break thru and how you have a intermittent issue with it touching the VC. Just a Guess

If there was no difference in tone unplugging #7 you really should have swapped it with another and seen where the problem stayed i.e. with injector or cylinder and harness connector.

The IPR nut coming off with certainly make it idle and run low down like total crap. BTDT But if it was only the nut and its was replaced...... (One thing I can say if you have good reason ever to suspect a issue with an IPR IMO if after doing the cleaning and check over and you still have the issue do not go looking else where with out very good reason. Better to pony up and buy a Genuine Ford/motorcraft IPR same goes for the ICP sensor.)

You really need to get back under those VC and start doing some more testing. But I would start with careful inspection of the wiring between the IDM and VC connectors especially around where they go over the VC.

SDstroker

Reaction score
Yea it did run like a singer sewing machine before. I think I am going back after the wiring when I get home. All the wires coming out of the valve cover harness are bent downwards so maybe one of them got pinched. I am sure I leaned on some wiring at some point. And after switch the valve cover harnesses, I would have suspected the problem to follow if one was bad. All the injectors appeared to be squirting the same. I am being as patient as I can be. Me and wiring don't get along lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.