Monotherm pistons

Big Bore

Reaction score
These aren't gassers...

How many 7.3's have you seen rod the block because they pulled the pin out of the piston, or stretched rod bolts and similar?

The problems are power load (bending rods into horseshoes) and thermal load (cracking pistons and making cool designs on the tops), not inertial loads.

At 7000rpm, I'd worry about piston weights a little. When you look at the stroke of the cummins crank, rod weight and piston weight, the whole thing comes into much better perspective. A 7.3 could add gobs of weight before it started approaching similar piston acceleration forces to a stock 5.9 at the same rpm.

But if you go with carrillos in your 7.3 they are around 200g lighter than a stock forged.

So basically, use lighter rods, relieve factory piston bowl edge and ceramic coat , add fuel, increase rpm's...

Charles

Reaction score
Where do Crowers fit into that list?

They are a bit heavier than stock. The Hypermax's that I bought are a bit lighter.

But weight, IMO, isn't a practical concern at present, or even in the foreseeable future.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Well after talking to a very knowledgeable person, looks like i will just go with the average joe and buy Mahle's. Was hoping for something different, with some added benefits but that looks to be out of the question with these monotherms.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Well after talking to a very knowledgeable person, looks like i will just go with the average joe and buy Mahle's. Was hoping for something different, with some added benefits but that looks to be out of the question with these monotherms.

When did we talk???

Latest posts

Members online