Moving up from a 7.3 to 6.7, What should I be aware of

Reaction score
Looking to buy a used KR dually 6.7l, I can find nice ones with 120-150k in my price range, most are 2011 or 2012s, other than I know the 15 s have better turbo and fuel system, are there any reasons not to buy an 11, 12, 13 or 14? What should I be Leary of, and be looking out for? I will probably eventually upgrade turbo and all, truck is primarily going to be used to tow a heavy 5er, 16500lbs GVW, and 12800lbs unloaded

ghohouston

Reaction score
I think the early ones had some valve issues, but if you're buying a higher mileage one, it would have probably already happened.

dseitler

Reaction score
mis·in·for·ma·tion
noun
noun: misinformation
false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

Do your home work. Listen to the sponsors on PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torque beast

Reaction score
I wouldn't be scared of any of them but would try for a 12 or newer if it were me

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
Looking to buy a used KR dually 6.7l, I can find nice ones with 120-150k in my price range, most are 2011 or 2012s, other than I know the 15 s have better turbo and fuel system, are there any reasons not to buy an 11, 12, 13 or 14? What should I be Leary of, and be looking out for? I will probably eventually upgrade turbo and all, truck is primarily going to be used to tow a heavy 5er, 16500lbs GVW, and 12800lbs unloaded

Be aware of the lag and you will also miss the freight train low rpm pull of the 7.3. I also just switched from a Dp tuner tuned 7.3 and the tuned 2015 6.7 is a lag meister compared to it. My 7.3 had instant throttle response with very little lag. If you do tune your 6.7 go with innovative they have about 1/3 the lag that pip does and shifting is way better too. The 6.7 is a mid-range monster though and obviously makes way more power. Just takes a little getting used to how the power comes on. Definitely get a 15 better turbo and a little more power. All the tuners say the 15 is the one to get. The 11-14 eat turbos but if you are gonna change the turbo anyway then maybe it doesn't matter. They also have the 11-14 tuning dialed in compared to the 15.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My dad bitches about the lag on his 15, stock. No tuning. Fuel mileage is significantly worse on his 15 compared to the 11.

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Be aware of the lag and you will also miss the freight train low rpm pull of the 7.3. I also just switched from a Dp tuner tuned 7.3 and the tuned 2015 6.7 is a lag meister compared to it. My 7.3 had instant throttle response with very little lag. If you do tune your 6.7 go with innovative they have about 1/3 the lag that pip does and shifting is way better too. The 6.7 is a mid-range monster though and obviously makes way more power. Just takes a little getting used to how the power comes on. Definitely get a 15 better turbo and a little more power. All the tuners say the 15 is the one to get. The 11-14 eat turbos but if you are gonna change the turbo anyway then maybe it doesn't matter. They also have the 11-14 tuning dialed in compared to the 15.

I couldn't imagine the shifting being any better than the V7 tune in my 15'. It shifts perfect. I'd like to try the IDP tunes down the road tho for sure, Just can't justify it right now when the current V7 tunes work great in my truck.

Back on track, I think you would be happy with any of the 6.7's. I do believe the fuel mileage was better on the Pre 15 trucks however as noted by others on here. I drove a friends stock manual shift 7.3 a few times and man would that pull like a tank in 1st gear. The Lag in my 15 isn't anything horrible. I guess I was use to it after driving an F150 Ecoboost, but once you get use to driving it, It's not bad at all IMO. What does your Spending Budget look like?

Charles

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine the shifting being any better than the V7 tune in my 15'. It shifts perfect. I'd like to try the IDP tunes down the road tho for sure, Just can't justify it right now when the current V7 tunes work great in my truck.

Back on track, I think you would be happy with any of the 6.7's. I do believe the fuel mileage was better on the Pre 15 trucks however as noted by others on here. I drove a friends stock manual shift 7.3 a few times and man would that pull like a tank in 1st gear. The Lag in my 15 isn't anything horrible. I guess I was use to it after driving an F150 Ecoboost, but once you get use to driving it, It's not bad at all IMO. What does your Spending Budget look like?

Charles

As you know several others have switched from pip to innovative and also reported better shifting. Seems like everyone still had a few bad shifts here and there with pip tunes. So did I. I can honestly say I have yet to have a bad shift running innovative. Until you try them you wont know your truck can shift better. The way innovative locks up the torque converter on their race tune is just awesome compared to pip extreme. David at pip did say they were doing testing all weekend and hoped to have a new tune for me to try next week. We will see what they come up with.

cbrown

Reaction score
I find it funny how innovative is starting to receive all the praise, especially on shift quality, when that's all people b**ched about on the 6.4. Not insinuating or trying to start anything, as I run innovative on one of my 6.4s. H &s can tunes on the 6.7 I fool with. Just stating opinion/ observation.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And here we go.

The guy is running a tow modded 7.3. He is switching to a 6.7 because he needs the gvwr capacity of a drw. This isnt a hotrodded 6.7 thread! He wants a used truck to tow with. It matters.

TyCorr

Reaction score
mis·in·for·ma·tion
noun
noun: misinformation
false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

Do your home work. Listen to the sponsors on PSA.

Who and what are you referring to?

You still havent resolved this vaguebook post. You just stirring **** up?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.