MPD 66 kit reviews needed

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I agree with mike I ran a box 363 and that thing was a blast. That thing came into power quick and towed well. I think there definition of amazing is it was making power below 2k rpm and as long as you didn't over fuel it , it could usually get out from falling under the turbo easily.

doo dah

Reaction score
I like the 63. I think some people expect to mash the pedal and roast the tires so when they get a bigger non vgt they are disappointed. Like any mod I think you have to relearn how to drive your truck. Ease into the throttle to give time for boost, get a good tune for non vgt, and don't expect too much. I can do really nice burn outs as long as I get a little RPM while on the brake before I hammer it. Truck is fast for as big as it is but it ain't a sports car so I don't expect it to drive like one. I can't imagine having a charger as large as 66 to 68 on these trucks even with twin fuelers for daily driving unless you really pussyfoot it most of the time but I haven't driven one so I won't speculate. My opinion on tuning is for my 63 GH has the best engine file and TyRaNt has a better transmission file. Lastly I'll say every one has a different opinion on turbos so you'll be hard pressed to find 80% majority opinion on most topics related to them. As far as holding up most of the aftermarket kits upgrade the weak parts like bushings, cast parts, etc...so doubt any have "failed" at this point. I say get the kit you want and can afford and hope you get it right the first time.....................most of us don't and that is why Mike has such a good customer base, oh and he has great customer service.

08Monster

Reaction score
I like the 63. I think some people expect to mash the pedal and roast the tires so when they get a bigger non vgt they are disappointed. Like any mod I think you have to relearn how to drive your truck. Ease into the throttle to give time for boost, get a good tune for non vgt, and don't expect too much. I can do really nice burn outs as long as I get a little RPM while on the brake before I hammer it. Truck is fast for as big as it is but it ain't a sports car so I don't expect it to drive like one. I can't imagine having a charger as large as 66 to 68 on these trucks even with twin fuelers for daily driving unless you really pussyfoot it most of the time but I haven't driven one so I won't speculate. My opinion on tuning is for my 63 GH has the best engine file and TyRaNt has a better transmission file. Lastly I'll say every one has a different opinion on turbos so you'll be hard pressed to find 80% majority opinion on most topics related to them. As far as holding up most of the aftermarket kits upgrade the weak parts like bushings, cast parts, etc...so doubt any have "failed" at this point. I say get the kit you want and can afford and hope you get it right the first time.....................most of us don't and that is why Mike has such a good customer base, oh and he has great customer service.
Did your mileage change at all. Do you tow with it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
Mileage didn't change much and I do tow with it quite a bit. I have a 42' 5th wheel that is around 15k that I tow the most. When I went from 37s back to stock tires and suspension I can now tow in 6th with the cruise on if the road is flat enough, in the hills I am still locking out of 6th.

08Monster

Reaction score
Mileage didn't change much and I do tow with it quite a bit. I have a 42' 5th wheel that is around 15k that I tow the most. When I went from 37s back to stock tires and suspension I can now tow in 6th with the cruise on if the road is flat enough, in the hills I am still locking out of 6th.
Did it change for the better or worse? What are you averaging just cruising empty. This gives me some hope that I can maybe do it and have it tow like I want. I don't pull much or often, mostly a an ice castle that weighs about 8000.

doo dah

Reaction score
For better but part of that is going from a 37x13.50x20 tire to 275x65x20. I was getting 14 before the turbo in all around driving with maybe 16 at best on a highway drive. Now I get 16 all around and at most 18 on the highway. Towing 15k pounds I get anywhere from 7-10 depending on terrain.

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
I believe (most of) the ones out there who dislike nonvgt are possibly the ones who jumped on more turbo that they thought they needed. For example, a 369sxe on stock 11-14 fuel, 467.7 on any stock fuel.....these are pointless.

08Monster

Reaction score
I believe (most of) the ones out there who dislike nonvgt are possibly the ones who jumped on more turbo that they thought they needed. For example, a 369sxe on stock 11-14 fuel, 467.7 on any stock fuel.....these are pointless.
I did a billet 66 on my stock fuel 6.4 and absolutely hated it. I worked with Ghead for multiple revisions and it always drove like crap and couldn't tow a greased string out of a cats @ss without EGTs sky rocketing. It hazed black all the time. Even when driving on flat ground. Lol

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I did a billet 66 on my stock fuel 6.4 and absolutely hated it. I worked with Ghead for multiple revisions and it always drove like crap and couldn't tow a greased string out of a cats @ss without EGTs sky rocketing. It hazed black all the time. Even when driving on flat ground. Lol

apples to oranges. 6.7 headflow is WAY better, nothing like a 6.4 . but like jeremy said, 66 and 69 on stock fuel 11-14 is a waste and can be painful. 467 or bigger is much worse.

Bullet 21

Reaction score
Ive never had any issues, it tows very well and spools fast. I am tuned by PPEI on stock fuel. Ive never seen the EGT's hit 1000° either...mid 900s is the most ive seen so far. Ive been running this turbo for a year now.

I tow a bass boat with it weekly ams it doesn't know its there, I towed 12k for 400 miles on the interstate not long ago and it didn't have any trouble towing in 6th.

Korys trans tuning is a little aggressive IMO but it shifts very well for the most part. The shift points could be a little less but it does a good job at keeping the turbo in the desired rpm range

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I'll throw in my .02 on this. Like everyone else mentioned, 63 or 64.5 kit does well on stock 11-14 fuel. I recently went with a 369 on my stock 15 fuel and am very happy with it. With some tuning changes its awesome, spools well, low egts, plenty of power (for now), and is very fun to drive. I haven't towed with it, but plan on throwing about 20k behind me this weekend and seeing how it does!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.