Mpg getting worse.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ever since I had the problem of my fuel sensor going bad or pump (truck dies at 1/4 tank) my mpg has gotten worse. I used to be able to go 280 miles before I filled up (runnin 40" tires) and could fill up to 30 gal. Now I go maybe 200 before I hit that 1/4 tank and can't fill up to 30 gal. I get maybe 23 gal on fill ups now. Could it be because of the sensor or pump going bad that it's so weak it won't pick up the fuel that low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMart

Reaction score
You might have a bad injector(s) from running it out of fuel twice. I think that can happen in a 6.0 My trucks are getting confused. Plus you mentioned that idle issue.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Youre over thinking this. You still have 1/4 tanks worth of fuel when youre having to fill up since your pickup foot on the sending unit is broke off. Get my point? That is some terrible mileage though. My 7.3 with 238/100's would still get over 500 miles per tank on a 35 gallon tank

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ya I'm not getting much. If I was stock height then I would but I'm not. I'm gonna take the bed off tomorrow and pull the pump.

JMart

Reaction score
Imo pulling the bed is A LOT harder than dropping the tank, but to each his own

If the bolts come out of the bed its not to bad. The first time I pulled my bed I had to cut off a bolt.

If you drop the bumper, and take off the rear wheels, disconnect the wire harness, you can slide the bed back enough to get the sending unit out.

The tank is easy to drop. Getting it back in there without damaging it or the sending unit isn't as easy.

I have done both. I can pull the bed by myself, the tank needed an extra person.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of doing is messing uptake tank putting it back in. Especially when there's a 12" lift on the back lol

83f350

Reaction score
my truck has the same issue(kinda I have a 7.3 if that matters) I can go about 250 til 1/4 tank and only fit like 24gal in, I have a 38gal tank. I think mine is the sending unit because the needle just goes straight to over full and doesnt move now.

Latest posts

Members online