Mpg prblems

Powerstroke127

Reaction score
Ok the trucks a crew cab 6.0 and is getting ****ty mileage. It does have 240,000miles on it. It is competly stock. Any ideas?

Fordguy100

Reaction score
What mpg is it getting?

What speed, drive conditions (flat, mountain, etc). How much freeway/city driving. Truck auto or manual? Gearing? 4x4 or 2x4?

Atsah

Reaction score
16-18 is pretty normal for a 6.0 but it depends on a lot of things, how you drive, quality of fuel, soot buidup in the EGR etc..

sprayjock

Reaction score
Mines never gotten over 13 tuned or not, everyday driving.. I have been able to get 18 out of it on a few long road trips.. mine is cclb

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
My 05 250 4x4 with a 6" lift and 37s would get 13-15mpg. SCT Livewire 4" exhaust and innovative tunes. But that was in Central Texas at around 1100' above sea level and driving like a jack a$$ regularly.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
brakes dragging? low cetane, low eot, high eot, ficm voltage, improper fuel pressure, egr problems, acceleration, wind drag

Lassie

Reaction score
My truck stayed at 16 mpg most of its life only running a performance bully dog tune. My mileage started dropping off fast when front end parts started wearing out. It got to 12.5 mpg before I found problems. The front end unit bearings both were hard to turn with the truck jacked up. My bearings werent even making a lot of noise like you think a wheel bearing would. Give them a check.

Another thing to mention....I lost one of the new unit bearings within 15K miles. My knuckle seal was shot on the driver side, which allowed dirt and mud into the spindle bearing inside the unit bearing. If you're already that far into a bearing change, with those miles, might want to change em.

Lassie

Reaction score
How hard and costly is it to do it yourself?

The hub assembly/unit bearing is just a little more than a brake job. Pull the caliper, rotor, then 4 bolts from the rear of unit bearing.

The knuckle seal is just behind that. The axle will pull out with the assembly off. Knock the old seal off and put the new one on.

The only trick to that is making the knuckle seal tool. I'll try to find a link showing how to make it. Only requires a short piece of black iron pipe and a 3 or 4 inch floor flange.

You can test the knuckle seal with a vaccuum pump from the connection in the wheel well before you pull the unit bearing. The seal is one of the three seals needed for ESOF 4x4 to work if hubs are in auto.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
ford part# for 99-04 is f81z-3254-cb and usually around $32 bearings are less than 200 from rock auto in auto extra brand. also check u-joints to make sure they are not stiff causing adverse steering, also lisle sells a seal driver specifically for those seals

Lassie

Reaction score
The link above has another link to making the tool. It costs less than $10 to make and only tool required to make it is a grinder. About 18" of black iron screw pipe, a floor flange and cap. Knocks the seals right on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.