MTW average Joe truck ::over 500rwhp stock injectors

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a truck to do testing on since the MTW white truck is down and I need to get it fixed. I picked up a 2003 standard cab longbed 2wd truck, one owner with 187000 miles on it. The truck was totally stock, never had a tune on it or anything else.

So what did I do same basic mods to a 6.0, egr delete, studs ( one at a time method ), S&B cold intake, 4" exhaust, SCT tuner, and replaced the oil cooler( deta was high 24 degree spilt ). I did put a ported manifold that I ported a while back, Banks intercooler, and also has sinster y pipe on it. I first had a new turbo I have been playing with Madmax, but needed to do some testing on a stage 4 turbo, so I put it on the truck. A stage 4 71mm/95mm turbo and something crazy happen. The stock injectors had no problem spinning the turbo, in fact it made the truck into a crazy ass speed freak. I have a custom tune from Jesse Warren and a 80 hp PHP tune, I couldn't believe how fast the truck was so I took it to Atlanta 8 hour drive. I had to get some turbo cores anyway there so I figured why not. I set up a dyno run with Bill at PHP and glad I did.

So here is what the truck put down:::

First pull::: 508rwhp
Second pull::: 518rwhp
Third pull::: 512rwhp
Max torque was at 904

All done with stock injectors, stock fuel system, and nothing but fuel only.
I will get some graphs put up:::: I will be backing up at the track, when they open again.

Thanks.

Chatham036

Reaction score
attached is Adrian's dyno plots

Attachments

• MTW Stage 4.jpg
    MTW Stage 4.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 135

MINK

Reaction score
That's impressive.

Whats the price on that charger?

Last edited:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Thank you guys, the price on the charger is actually going to drop, along with the stage 3. I have contracted a company to make my own turbine wheels. Once I get the wheels then I can drop the price of the big turbo, since I won't have to buy the 4094va turbo just to make those two turbos. The price may drop from 3400.00 to about 2900.00 for the stage 4, no core brand new turbo.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Very nice for sure man...congrats! So sounds like stocks sticks will work fine from the stage 1 all the way to the stage 4. So what will it take to turn my stage 3 into a stage 4? Since it works with stock sticks...should work good with my 190/75's I'd assume.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Very nice numbers for stock injectors for sure. But I think the numbers are high. Why? I saw a dyno graph for a stock 6.0 with just intake and exhaust that was right @ 325 HP off Bills dyno. Just tossing this out there. Not saying that that is the case here just saying there must be something not right for a "stock" pickup to put the rated flywheel hp to the ground. But with ported intake and elbow that could help you for sure.

I am in no way trying to say you did not lay down those numbers!! Just saying what i have seen. And we all know that can not be the case.

Very impressive that the stock sticks spooled that charger. What is your opinion as for as it working for towing?

Keep up the good work!!!!

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Very nice numbers for stock injectors for sure. But I think the numbers are high. Why? I saw a dyno graph for a stock 6.0 with just intake and exhaust that was right @ 325 HP off Bills dyno. Just tossing this out there. Not saying that that is the case here just saying there must be something not right for a "stock" pickup to put the rated flywheel hp to the ground. But with ported intake and elbow that could help you for sure.

I am in no way trying to say you did not lay down those numbers!! Just saying what i have seen. And we all know that can not be the case.

Very impressive that the stock sticks spooled that charger. What is your opinion as for as it working for towing?

Keep up the good work!!!!

No problem, I understand and I'm not saying that the numbers are correct either. I do know the truck runs really strong, but until I can hit a track to back up what happen it's just a number for now. Same as my white truck, it made 769 but until I back that up it is just a number. I will say I have a lot of work to do, now I have to back up two different trucks, and to make things worst I took the sinster up pipes, banks intercooler, stage 4 turbo and some boots from the white truck. Now I have to buy all the parts to put the white truck together..

As far as the stock injectors spooling the charger it was done by accident, needed to check the stage 4 after I repalced the VGT solenoid and the red truck was all I had to use. To my surprize the stock injector had no problem spooling and truck ran like a beast. I recently had Jesse adjust the VGT duty cycle on the bottom which he did and now spools better. I will take some videos of the truck running with charger. I'm putting different tires and rims on it which are 2" shorter so will change the 3:73 to around 4:10. That alone should wake up the bottom even more.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
No problem, I understand and I'm not saying that the numbers are correct either. I do know the truck runs really strong, but until I can hit a track to back up what happen it's just a number for now. Same as my white truck, it made 769 but until I back that up it is just a number. I will say I have a lot of work to do, now I have to back up two different trucks, and to make things worst I took the sinster up pipes, banks intercooler, stage 4 turbo and some boots from the white truck. Now I have to buy all the parts to put the white truck together..

As far as the stock injectors spooling the charger it was done by accident, needed to check the stage 4 after I repalced the VGT solenoid and the red truck was all I had to use. To my surprize the stock injector had no problem spooling and truck ran like a beast. I recently had Jesse adjust the VGT duty cycle on the bottom which he did and now spools better. I will take some videos of the truck running with charger. I'm putting different tires and rims on it which are 2" shorter so will change the 3:73 to around 4:10. That alone should wake up the bottom even more.

Having a bolt on turbo that can spool good and make that kind of power on stock sticks is sweet! Especially if you could tow with it. 4.10 gears will help that end of it for sure!!

I look forward to seeing how these do. I always got to keep the options open and the more there are the better!

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Having a bolt on turbo that can spool good and make that kind of power on stock sticks is sweet! Especially if you could tow with it. 4.10 gears will help that end of it for sure!!

I look forward to seeing how these do. I always got to keep the options open and the more there are the better!

I bought the truck with the intenion of testing, the truck has a trailer hitch and a goose neck hitch. When I get the time I will be finding something to hook on to and tow it. The dyno run wasn't a plan thing, after the big turbo ran so well I decided to see what it made. The reason I bring that up is because I don't have a EGT gauge in it. It's on order along with a mechanical boost gauge. I might change my mind on the EGT gauge and run the EGT sensor to the CTS instead. That way I could put up the info on the CTS side by side to show how the truck reacts.

The fact that stock injectors can spool a big VGT opens up the options for sure. I believe that stock injectors can spool any big VGT not just the ones I build. So now as a added option someone could get a big VGT turbo, hold off on injectors then add injectors down the road for more power. I always thought that air should be added, the more the better for increase performance and fuel economy. The red truck was getting hand calulated 22 miles to the gallon on freeway driving at 80-90 mph. I drove the truck from Mississippi to Altanta 8-9 hour drive using 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Again air is free and the more that can be used the better off you are in the long run.

Now if the truck can tow with stock injectors and big turbo it would definitely be a good option, time well tell. After holidays I will also get some video of the truck running, I just have too much going on with family to even get a video right now.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I bought the truck with the intenion of testing, the truck has a trailer hitch and a goose neck hitch. When I get the time I will be finding something to hook on to and tow it. The dyno run wasn't a plan thing, after the big turbo ran so well I decided to see what it made. The reason I bring that up is because I don't have a EGT gauge in it. It's on order along with a mechanical boost gauge. I might change my mind on the EGT gauge and run the EGT sensor to the CTS instead. That way I could put up the info on the CTS side by side to show how the truck reacts.

The fact that stock injectors can spool a big VGT opens up the options for sure. I believe that stock injectors can spool any big VGT not just the ones I build. So now as a added option someone could get a big VGT turbo, hold off on injectors then add injectors down the road for more power. I always thought that air should be added, the more the better for increase performance and fuel economy. The red truck was getting hand calulated 22 miles to the gallon on freeway driving at 80-90 mph. I drove the truck from Mississippi to Altanta 8-9 hour drive using 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Again air is free and the more that can be used the better off you are in the long run.

Now if the truck can tow with stock injectors and big turbo it would definitely be a good option, time well tell. After holidays I will also get some video of the truck running, I just have too much going on with family to even get a video right now.

I could not agree more with you!! The more air you can get the better off you are, And the more power you can make with the same amount of fuel. This is what i like to see. To many times I feel people try to ad to much fuel than all they have is a high EGT smoky rig. I like low EGT clean power. When i say clean i mean smoke free. That is hard to get BUT Air and good tuning goes a long way there. But the more air the better. If you have smoke you need more air. Like you mentioned MPG will go up when you are feeding the engine more air. The more efficient you burn the fuel the less fuel it will take to do the same thing!

I like what you are doing for sure. I also feel you are going about it right. The fact that you not only make these turbos but go out of your way to test them yourself tells me a lot. Keep it up!!

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I could not agree more with you!! The more air you can get the better off you are, And the more power you can make with the same amount of fuel. This is what i like to see. To many times I feel people try to ad to much fuel than all they have is a high EGT smoky rig. I like low EGT clean power. When i say clean i mean smoke free. That is hard to get BUT Air and good tuning goes a long way there. But the more air the better. If you have smoke you need more air. Like you mentioned MPG will go up when you are feeding the engine more air. The more efficient you burn the fuel the less fuel it will take to do the same thing!

I like what you are doing for sure. I also feel you are going about it right. The fact that you not only make these turbos but go out of your way to test them yourself tells me a lot. Keep it up!!

I like what you are doing for sure. I also feel you are going about it right. The fact that you not only make these turbos but go out of your way to test them yourself tells me a lot. Keep it up!![/QUOTE]

Thank you again. When my other truck was running it put down 769rwhp with a stage 4 and 225/75 injectors. The injectors IMO are too big even for the stage 4. I blew the head gaskets on the dyno and thinking about going to oring to help from blowing future gaskets. I run the truck on a full race tune and can hit 1600-1700 max, but I think should be lower.

Which is a reason that I'm revising stage 3 and stage 4 turbos. New stage 3 compressor wheels should be done with in a month, they will be 67.8mm/94mm but due to the design that I'm having made will out flow my stage 4 that I build now. The stage 4 will also be getting revised but I need to test out different turbine wheels to see how big I need to go with to match the new compressor wheel. The new stage 4 wheel will have close to the flow of a gt 4202, which measures 75mm/102mm, it will be the biggest VGT turbo built. The main reasons for going to the bigger and more flowing turbos is that I want more air.

As testing goes I wish I had a 1.00 for every time I was on the side of the road, working on the truck due mishaps. (blown hoses, turbine failures, compressor, burned pistons, bent push rods, broken rocker arms, blown universals, ect...............). Some people really don't understand the trouble and pain in the a**, of testing something that no one ever had. It's all worth it when things go right and you are in a truck with a prototype turbo never built before and it turns the truck into a crazed monster. Then cherry on top some poor guy in his Vett comes up on you and wants to try you out....yup then it is priceless.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Wow...the changes to the stage 3 will flow as much as the current stage 4? That's awesome man! Let me know when the testing of this new stage 3 that flows like a stage 4 is done. I'll send my stage 3 to ya to have it upgraded. Sorry adrian...I wasn't able to call ya today!

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
When do tracks around you open Adrian?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

In the spring, but I'm conidering once the white truck gets done to make a trip to TSD as long as it's ok with Chris to dyno and hit a track in Texas. I heard the tracks are still open down there. I plan on doing a lot of events so need to make sure all bugs with both trucks are worked out.

Last week when I was changing out the intercooler the weather was so nice that one 1/8 mile track opened for the day for test and tune. I found out too late, but told my buddy to keep me informed if it happens again. I rather it be 1/4 mile but heck it's near me so I will take what I can.

Latest posts

Members online