MTW stage 4 VGT vs S472 non VGT

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread so there wouldn't be a derail on big vgt vs non vgt thread.

I always wanted to do a comparison just to see what happens, and I'm sure a lot of other members want to see it also. For those who don't know the MTW stage 4 is a big VGT turbo, might be the biggest VGT turbo for the 6.0 powerstroke. It measures 70.3mm/95mm with extended tips, it is not like any other big VGT turbo ever made for the 6.0. What makes it different, same as the MTW stage 4 it uses a gt40 turbine wheel which is much bigger then the gt37 turbine wheel. The bigger turbine wheel matched to the compressor wheel is what make stage 3 and 4 very efficient, and powerful.

The s472 turbo is a non VGT turbo and measures 72mm/83mm with extended tips.

The truck 2004 ext cab 6.0, Gary's (g2shuck)truck that he is building for a pulling truck.

Both turbos run a .90 A/r turbine housing and close size turbine wheels. The truck will have 350/100 injectors, and will swap up pipes and tunes only to see what happens on the dyno. we see a little street testing also. Yes the injectors are too big and would like to have 225/100 to compare but this is the only truck we can use right now. So let's see what will happen, I will keep you posted on when and what happens let's get ready to rumble!!:naughty:

g2shuck

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread so there wouldn't be a derail on big vgt vs non vgt thread.

I always wanted to do a comparison just to see what happens, and I'm sure a lot of other members want to see it also. For those who don't know the MTW stage 4 is a big VGT turbo, might be the biggest VGT turbo for the 6.0 powerstroke. It measures 70.3mm/95mm with extended tips, it is not like any other big VGT turbo ever made for the 6.0. What makes it different, same as the MTW stage 4 it uses a gt40 turbine wheel which is much bigger then the gt37 turbine wheel. The bigger turbine wheel matched to the compressor wheel is what make stage 3 and 4 very efficient, and powerful.

The s472 turbo is a non VGT turbo and measures 72mm/83mm with extended tips.

The truck 2004 ext cab 6.0, Gary's (g2shuck)truck that he is building for a pulling truck.

Both turbos run a .90 A/r turbine housing and close size turbine wheels. The truck will have 350/100 injectors, and will swap up pipes and tunes only to see what happens on the dyno. we see a little street testing also. Yes the injectors are too big and would like to have 225/100 to compare but this is the only truck we can use right now. So let's see what will happen, I will keep you posted on when and what happens let's get ready to rumble!!:naughty:

my compressor wheel measure 72mmx102mm, turbine wheel is 83.5mmx74mm

full turbo specs are s472 that measures 72x83/.90ar with billet 11 blade ett etr-ho wheel from forced inductions... the turbo is rated at 110 lb/min without a race cover... injectors will be 350/100 conventionals that will be flow tested from warren diesel and I will provide he flow bench data... HPO is being took care of with a custom twin pump kit me and Jesse Warren are building to feed directly into the rails. all other supporting mods are done to the truck as wel and I will be building the trans as soon as the rest of my parts show up.

Just wanted to give you some data on the truck. Oh I will be running a tune wrtoe or the stage 4 also so it will not be put at a disadvantage.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Jose, (forced Inductions) just came out with a new 80mm billet wheel.
Setup on an S400, and a 6.0L gas motor, it made 1289hp. (The stock cast wheel did like 240 something less with the exact same setup...just the wheel was changed)

Gonna be cool to see this comparison between the Vgt, and a non Vgt.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Just a small warning for you guys, since you guys get worked up over my posts usually, without my intention, but here is some info for you. Turbine wheel dimensions, not quite similar, and drastically different blade profile, they're made of different material too. BW references their turbine wheels different than garret does. g2's turbine is know as the 74mm turbine not the 83mm.

Its just too hard to go apples to apples with BW and garret chargers. But im looking forward to outcome to this test regardless, may show you that size isn't everything and how different the technology is in each charger really is. Should be a cool test to see.

83mm inducer x 74mm exducer (borg warner turbine)

vs.

77mm diameter/inducer x 68mm'ish exducer (GT40 turbine)

g2shuck

Reaction score
greg bw clear as day list my turbine as a 83mm turbine the s472 is not offered with a turbine wheel that is listed smaler than the 83... they list the 83/87/91 as options

g2shuck

Reaction score
Jose, (forced Inductions) just came out with a new 80mm billet wheel.
Setup on an S400, and a 6.0L gas motor, it made 1289hp. (The stock cast wheel did like 240 something less with the exact same setup...just the wheel was changed)

Gonna be cool to see this comparison between the Vgt, and a non Vgt.

wanna get me one of these? wink wink

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Just a small warning for you guys, since you guys get worked up over my posts usually, without my intention, but here is some info for you. Turbine wheel dimensions, not quite similar, and drastically different blade profile, they're made of different material too. BW references their turbine wheels different than garret does. g2's turbine is know as the 74mm turbine not the 83mm.

Its just too hard to go apples to apples with BW and garret chargers. But im looking forward to outcome to this test regardless, may show you that size isn't everything and how different the technology is in each charger really is. Should be a cool test to see.

83mm inducer x 74mm exducer (borg warner turbine)

vs.

77mm diameter/inducer x 68mm'ish exducer (GT40 turbine)

Thanks for the information, Greg. I agree that the two turbos are different and have different ways they are designed. I'm luck enough to have Gary close enough to do comparison, so what he has will do.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Thats a bold claim! I wonder if that charger was actually tested to do so. I know its BIG money to do this.

For once someone is making a bold statement and it's not me.......LOL
Greg I know you have a lot of experience with the non VGT so keep up the info. By the way looked at your videos of your truck very nice.

I'm not trying to prove which turbo is better, just a comparison. All I ever wanted to do was give another option in turbo selection. I know a lot of guys got burnt on VGT, and will run nothing else and that's ok with me. Some other compounds again that ok, some powermax, and no other. It's all good whatever it takes to make the 6.0 a serious runner, is what it's all about.

By the way check out mad turbo werks vendor section to read about other turbos and things I'm up to, thanks

Last edited:

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
the turbo is rated at 110 lb/min without a race cover

Thats a bold claim! I wonder if that charger was actually tested to do so. I know its BIG money to do this.

I don't think that's actually too crazy. A GT45 with a cast wheel claims the same. Not that impressive.

If its 11 full height blades that would bother me though.

Latest posts