Muffler suggestions?

BK39

Reaction score
How was the exhaust tone outside the truck? Still pretty loud and aggressive when getting on it?

Not really. That 30" resonator wiped it out pretty good. I'd try a 17" resonator first, if I were to do it all over again.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to those videos, I'd love to see how quiet it is in cab, and windows down WOT.

I can do that when I get my truck back. Hopefully soon.. Most likely not. I'll be able to upload those videos Monday most likely. I'll try to do it sooner lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmal9

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand, but whats the best method for getting rid of the drone. I have a '11 ccsb with a 5" flo-pro. At around 60mph and I believe 1300-1500rpm the truck gets a pretty serious drone, almost to the point you'll get a headache on a long trip. Ive had the truck coming up on a year now but I think the drone is just starting to get to me and I'm trying to figure out whats the best fix? The drone is the only thing I'm trying to get rid of, the turbo noise and loudness loud is fine with me. Any suggestions?

FX44AU

Reaction score
From what I've read the 17" FTE resonator should get rid of most of the drone.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
If everything goes to plan I'll get a couple videos up of my truck before the resonator, and then I just have a cold start and one of me revving it up some with the resonator. When I get my truck back I'll be able to get some driving exhaust videos and an in cab video

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I think in an earlier post someone said it's supposed to go as close to the downpipe as possible for best results. But I have mine where the muffler goes(in case I want to take it off easily) and it seems to do the trick.

mattmal9

Reaction score
I think in an earlier post someone said it's supposed to go as close to the downpipe as possible for best results. But I have mine where the muffler goes(in case I want to take it off easily) and it seems to do the trick.

Ok, thanks for the help, looking forward to your video to give me an idea

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help, looking forward to your video to give me an idea

I'll get it all up tomorrow, body shop said I'll get my truck tomorrow. We shall see. 100% will have the videos up tomorrow especially if I get my truck.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Started with a ****** pipe and really didn't like how it sounded at anything other then idle. Then went with an afe 5" axle dump. The drone was horrible and I really didn't like how it sounded at higher rpm. I say this after having a 5" straight piped axle dump on multiple 6.0 and 6.4 trucks and really liking it. I just added a 30" fte resonator as it was easy and bolt in for the muffler ****** pipe. I will say it is much quieter then I was expecting. I would call it stock like inside with a little rumble and a lot of turbo sound. All and all I really like it. A lot more tame then I usually have but really nice tone and overall sounds very good. I would call it perfect for someone that spends a lot of time in the truck towing or needs to keep the wife happy. 5" straight pipe was ridiculous towing heavy.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Does the 17" fte cut out all the drone? The 30" does. I tried a 30" truck muffler which sounds better but most of the drone is back.

Thinking about trying a 17" fte in front of the 30" muffler.

dfarman

Reaction score
I started with a 5" Flo-Pro full exhaust with muffler. Drone was pretty bad at 60 mph and 1400-1600 rpm or while towing. Added 17" FTE before the muffler and overall drone was cut by approx. 70% at 60mph and 50% while heavy towing. I hope this helps.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Thanks. Trying to figure it out. Wish there was a way to get rid of the droan and keep the straight piped sound. So far I still like the 30"fte best. It's just quiet.

Clean-15

Reaction score
Thanks. Trying to figure it out. Wish there was a way to get rid of the droan and keep the straight piped sound. So far I still like the 30"fte best. It's just quiet.

So the 30in fte has no drone but it's too quiet? How would you compare the volume to stock?

ftast350

Reaction score
I've got 5" Flo pro straight pipe and I rarely had a drone while towing on hot street, only while heading up a hill and in 6th gear. I re-tuned to street and I've noticed more sound in the cab while booting around and haven't towed with it yet.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
So the 30in fte has no drone but it's too quiet? How would you compare the volume to stock?

As far as exhaust tone you really don't hear the exhaust till over 2k rpms and it's pretty mild after that. Still has a lot of hiss though.

I feel like a 17"fte and a mbrp style muffler together would be good.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I haven't forgotten about the video. I just haven't had the time to edit it. And I'm not sure it will help all of y'all as much as my truck has a deeper exhaust note because of my S367.7

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Tried a Jones turbine 5050xl. I really think this is a good option for most people. I would say 60-70 percent of the drone is gone comparing to straight pipe. By far the best tone and least amount of hiss. The loudest muffler I have tried, I really don't think its all that much quieter then straight pipe but sounds a lot better. I would say this set up is very similar to a 5" straight pipe 6.4.

I am going to run it for a little while and see how I like it over time. I am having thoughts of cutting up the 30" fte and making 2- 15" fte to put one in front of the 5050xl.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Tried a Jones turbine 5050xl. I really think this is a good option for most people. I would say 60-70 percent of the drone is gone comparing to straight pipe. By far the best tone and least amount of hiss. The loudest muffler I have tried, I really don't think its all that much quieter then straight pipe but sounds a lot better. I would say this set up is very similar to a 5" straight pipe 6.4.

I am going to run it for a little while and see how I like it over time. I am having thoughts of cutting up the 30" fte and making 2- 15" fte to put one in front of the 5050xl.

I have that muffler as stated earlier in the thread. I was going to use a 15" fte also, I figured it might be too quiet though. But I don't pull anything heavy, I am sure if I pulled a heavy load the drone would be worse. I actually miss the loud hiss from straight pipe, but that drone got old on long trip

Latest posts

Members online