My 2wd to 4wd Conversion Project

Dzlnut

Reaction score
The frames are the same, stripped the 2wd spring buckets and all bolt on brackets. Installed 4wd spring buckets. Bolted in the front end with C code coils. The tranny is the same for 2wd and 4wd. Just unbolt the flange and slide on the t-case. There is a block off plate in all the cab floors for the linkage.

I have only finished the suspension so far but I converted a 04 and they are pretty much the same.
paqyne5a.jpg

Before
ra6ubunu.jpg
u8urava9.jpg
umasu6up.jpg
ebenahuh.jpg
netatu2y.jpg

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Also the calipers are the same, I did have to change the front brake lines to the 4wd longer hoses. Trailing arm brackets are the same, you use the rear holes instead of the front hole.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
My 2004 that I converted..

Attachments

• Fuel wheels.jpg
    Fuel wheels.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Fuel Wheels2.jpg
    Fuel Wheels2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 131

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I made a 2x4 to 4x4 swap on my 99, piece of cake. I would do it again, I love how easy Ford made it to swap stuff around.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
would everything still be a bolt up and go situation by taking a 99-04 truck and doing a 05 and up axle with coil springs?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I never really thought about this, but for people changing a lot of things around anyway may not be a bad plan!

So if say I was going to do a 4-linked and coilover front end, what would be the difference, just need the axle and transfer case

Dzlnut

Reaction score
The 2wd spring is not completely round at the top like the 4wd spring is, also the 4wd bucket has a center section that sticks down to retain the spring. The pictures above kinda show what I'm talking about.

nickw226

Reaction score
do you have a parts list. Im guessing its manual hubs instead of the vac lock. Im wanting to do this on my 2wd

fordman2121

Reaction score
I didn't know the trans output shaft was the same. So just change the tailhousing and slide a case on. Now u got me really wanting to swap mine. Do the buckets have to be changed or can I put a leveling puck in?

Dzlnut

Reaction score
If the back of your trans looks like this you have the easy transmission to convert to 4wd. Unbolt driveline, remove a single bolt from yoke, remeove yoke and slide transfercase on. You will also need to change spring buckets.

Attachments

• Iphone Photos 140.JPG
    Iphone Photos 140.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 145

Latest posts

Members online