My Custom Fuel System

windrunner408

Reaction score
So while I was at the Dyno event on Saturday and Bill was driving my truck, I was able to monitor my fuel pressure during the WOT runs Bill was doing and noticed that it was dropping from ~64psi at idle to about 50psi in the WOT runs on the dyno. I know that 50psi is still ok for the injectors but I was hoping that with the AD150, fuel sump, AND RR kit that I would be able to hold closer to 60psi at the regulator. So since I have roughly 90k miles on the stocker, I decided to retire it and give the fuel system (hopefully) its last major upgrade that it will ever need (even if I do go with larger injectors later). The setup incorporates the venerable A1000 fuel pump, AD150, RR kit, and XDP Fuel sump. I pulled ALL of the fuel lines (with the exception of the return line that goes from the OEM pump to the tank) and replaced them with new Aeroquip Socket less AN lines. I am running 10AN line from the sump all the way to the AD150 and from it to the A1000, 8AN line from the A1000 to the y-block, and the 6AN line currently in use for feeding the heads will still be retained. The return line is 6AN line from the regulator to where it connects to the factory 5/16” return line. I fabricated a bracket out of 1/4in aluminum plate that I had to mount the pump in the factory location. All hardware is stainless steel and I used some rubber grommets as isolators for the pump to help with vibrations/shocks to the pump from the frame.

I received everything from Summit Racing on Wednesday, started working Thursday evening, and got everything installed and buttoned up yesterday morning. I already had the fuel bowl deleted when I bought the AD150 and new lines that I tied into the factory supply and return for sending fuel via 90* fittings directly to the front of the heads and to the Strictly Diesel RR kit that comes off the back of the heads. I will update the thread after the install, periodically as I drive the truck to speak to the longevity of the system, and what the fuel pressure does when I either stick the truck back on the dyno or take it to the track.

The final build list for my fuel system is as follows with parts in order from tank to motor:

XDP Sump
1/2" male NPT to 5/8" barbed hose fitting
~5ft of Aeroquip Socketless 10AN hose
Aeroquip 10AN Socketless hose end
Aeroquip 10AN to 3/8" NPT fitting
AD150
Aeroquip 10AN to 3/8" NPT fitting
~3ft of Aeroquip Socketless 10AN hose
Aeromotive 10AN male to 10 ORB fitting
Aeromotive A1000
Aeromotive 8AN male to 10 ORB
Aeroquip 8AN Socketless hose end
~6ft of Aeroquip Sockless 8AN hose
Aeroquip 8AN Socketless hose end
Aeroquip 8AN male to 8AN male coupler with gauge port
Aeroquip 8AN female to 8AN female coupler
Summit Racing 8AN inlet to 6AN outlets Y-block
Summit Racing 6AN hose ends
Summit Racing 6AN stainless steel braided hose
Summit Racing 6AN hose ends
Earl’s Racing 6AN male to M12x1.5mm 90* fittings
Strictly Diesel RR banjos and lines
Fuelab Regulator
Summit Racing 6AN hose end
Summit Racing 6AN stainless steel braided hose
Summit Racing 6AN hose end
Summit Racing 6AN male to 6AN male coupler
Aeroquip 6AN Socketless hose end
~6ft of Aeroquip Socketless 6AN hose
Aeroquip 6AN Socketless hose end
Russell 6AN to 5/16" Fuel Rail Adapter
Factory 5/16” fuel line to the tank

For wiring everything up I used a Summit Racing 30 Amp Fuel Pump Relay kit. It has 12ga wiring going from the relay to the pump and ga wiring for connecting the relay to the battery. There isnt really a fuse but rather an automatic resetting of a 30 Amp circruit breaker. I only used the hot wire from the OEM fuel pump harness for the "Switched 12v" source and I just connected the negative end of the A1000 to the ground wire in the OEM fuel pump harness. I was wondering if maybe I should just get some 12ga wire for the ground of the pump and run it all the way to the battery. Any thoughts?? The main thing I did notice is that you can hear the A1000 below the floor boards when it is running and the truck is running. I also backed the fuel pressure back down to 65psi so hopefully it says there.

Hopefully this thread will give some folks that have been debating building their own system fuel system some ideas they can use for their own or if at the very least know and learn what not to do. LOL LOL LOL

Pics will flow from sump to motor. Sorry if some of the pics are a little too close as it was difficult getting detail and showing the whole system with out other components on the truck getting in the way. The last pic is how the pump looks if you just peak your head under the body of the truck,

Attachments

• IMAG0418.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
More from the pump to the motor. From the 3rd pic on (in this set), this is of the lines before I was able to just add the A1000.

Attachments

• IMAG0416.jpg
    IMAG0416.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0362.jpg
    IMAG0362.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0363.jpg
    IMAG0363.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68

windrunner408

Reaction score
Here are some additional photos of the A1000 and bracket that I made.

Attachments

• IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0404.jpg
    IMAG0404.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49

09stroker

Reaction score
What model regulator is it? Only reason I ask is does it have the capacity for the A-1000?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Right on
I wish I had did this before I purchased my sinister regulated return

Me too. Oh well, live and learn I guess

What model regulator is it? Only reason I ask is does it have the capacity for the A-1000?

I dont know what the model number is but I believe it is the same regulator that Strictly Diesel uses in their full out racing fuel kits so while I am not 100% sure that it has the capacity for the A1000, I am pretty confident that it does because (IIRC) it can handle the 105gph Fuelab prodigy pump that basically equates to the A1000.

09stroker

Reaction score
Yeah I think the A-1000 flows 115 to 120 gph at @ 60psi so if that's the case it will probly be ok. Its good to see more people putting together thier own stuff. Looks good man :toast:

windrunner408

Reaction score
Thanks man. Since most of my driving is less than 2500 rpms, I think I am going to get the Aeromotive Speed Controller for this pump so it doesn't have to run at full speed ALL the time and hopefully that will allow it to live a longer happier life.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well I have the Billet Speed Controller ordered so we'll see how it works out. I also wanted to point out for those that may be under the impression that Aeromotive wont warranty this pump if they smell diesel. The installation instructions clearly state that "compatible fuels" for this pump are as follows: Pump Gas, Race Gas, E85, Diesel, Alcohol/Ethanol. So based on that, I can't understand why they wouldn't warranty the pump if it fails within the one year warranty so long as it is plumbed with the right sized line and is wired up with the right sized wiring. Hope this helps for folks that may think only the "Marine A1000" is compatible with Diesel. Just trying to help spread and share facts if I can.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yes this is the Aeromotive controller. The only reason I am using it is because they recommend it for continuous use when runtime of the pump is greater than 30 mins and the fuel tank capacity is less than 10 gallons as this will keep the fuel from getting over heated. I believe the controller will improve the life of the pump as it allows it to operate below 100% capacity for most driving. This should allow the pump to remain cool while operating and since I go on quite a few road trips, I figured I would set it up for the long haul. Hope this makes sense.

Agjake11

Reaction score
wasnt sure if you had found a cheaper option or not. im interested to see how it turns out for ya. for now im just filling up at 1/4 tank since the controller runs the same as another pump itself