My "I hope its reliable" Build

F.X.5

Reaction score
Well I've reached the point where I'd really like some help from guys that know what they're doing. I'm going to tearing into the bottom end and that's past my comfort level without having some reassurance.

Here's the story. I bought my 08 6.4 job 1 CCLB KR with about 128k on it and a puking engine. The truck already had an S&B intake, Spartan Tuned, DPF delete and a Suncoast trans with the receipt to prove it. I replaced the oil cooler, radiator and did some regular maintenance along the way. Added a coolant filter, cac pipe, and egr delete with elbow. I drove it for about a year like that.

I decided I needed to fix the puking so the heads came off (cab on). Long story short. I now have new heads, arp studs, ford gaskets and seals, new ford lifters, useable rockers, and chromoly push rods. I was prepping my block for install and found one cracked piston and one questionable piston. At this point I was ready to hack the truck together and trade it off but I can't bring myself to do it. So I'm going to fix it right and hope to god it lasts for a long time with limited problems.

For the guys that have replaced pistons. What else did you get into while the bottom end was apart? Should I be ready to have it bored? New bearings? Cranks usually need work? Just trying to get an idea before I tear into it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

Thanks.

webb06

Reaction score
The cylinders will probably be egg shaped so it'll need bored if so. Replace main, rod, and probably cam bearings. IH delipped and coated pistons from Midwest diesel.

That outta set you up pretty good. You could have it all balanced if you feel the need

groove

Reaction score
You may want to replace the oil pump at this time as well. Take a good look at the front cover to see if you have any cavitation issues.

F.X.5

Reaction score
I'm not going for more power. I just want to get in, turn the key and not have to worry about anything. I'm worried that my fuel system will fail shortly after I get the internals right. Just how my luck has been going. I guess I'll call up my machinist tomorrow and get a rough estimate of what it'll cost. He said he has done a few 6.4s in the past.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not going for more power. I just want to get in, turn the key and not have to worry about anything. I'm worried that my fuel system will fail shortly after I get the internals right. Just how my luck has been going. I guess I'll call up my machinist tomorrow and get a rough estimate of what it'll cost. He said he has done a few 6.4s in the past.

good pistons from Morgan will be your best bet. they don't add power-they add reliability. big thing is to check the rods for straightness when they are out.

sootie

Reaction score
haha^^^ dont want to burst anyone's bubble but six fours aren't exactly what i would call reliable...regardless of the parts in them

F.X.5

Reaction score
I'm tossing the idea around of slapping two OEM pistons in it and calling it good.
I can't afford to throw another 5k in this truck. I'm not going in debt fixing a truck that can easily be replaced by another truck that is reliable.
I'm as big of a FOMOCO guy you'll find but Ford can ram the olé 6.4 and the ridiculous prices of parts up their hind end.

Latest posts

Members online