My P.O.S. oil leaks,,,,

bluedge8

Reaction score
I'll attach pics in a moment, I was wondering why this thing has been puking oil pretty bad lately. and I finally had time to crawl underneath and found the oil pan gasket hanging and the dipstick tube nut just hanging there....

bluedge8

Reaction score
usypuba3.jpg
utemydy5.jpg
bamyhy4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedge8

Reaction score
So can I just re tighten the dipstick tube nut? I know it will leak but that would be better than just letting it fall in the pan right? The oil pan I know can't be fixed without pulling the motor, so, if you were going to pull the motor on a budget, would would have highest priority? I'm thinking new oil pan, oil cooler rebuild, front cover? lpop? anything else?

m j

Reaction score
read the thread on how to fix the dipstick adapter.
dieselorings.com kit is pretty handy for that repair
as the pan gasket is just a silicon tube that might not be the pan gasket hanging there

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you only have oil leaking there, dennis' billet repair kit is muuuuch cheaper than yarding out the motor.

If you must fly on the wings of your own volition, take the motor out and give everything a good look.

I'd reseal everything personally. It would be pretty shortsighted to change the pan and then in two months find something else decided to leak. I'd buy a master seal kit. Motorcraft or fel-pro. About 80 bucks I think. I'd also do a new lpop.

Depending on budget, maybe take the electronics and have them inspected and repaired. Alternator, starter, inspect the water pump. Balancer needs to be looked at.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Diesel O Rings sells a kit to repair the dip stick adapter that you could use to fix the one problem right. Also the oil pans do not use gaskets on these trucks but RTV is used to seal them. All the oil that you are seeing may just be coming from the dip stick adapter.

That guy isn't a vendor but you are right. Fwiw, riffraff sells a gasket now and that won't require the motor to be pulled in the definite. Unless clearance is an issue.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
That gasket that is hanging may be the little seal that covers the edge on the inspection cover. Shouldn't be an oil pan gasket at all since it is an applied sealant that is used.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Did you have an oil pan gasket installed on your truck or something? 7.3's didn't come with an oil pan gasket. As for the dipstick nut, yes, you can take a large pair of channel locks and tighten it up.

bluedge8

Reaction score
well I am glad to hear it's not the pan, if the pan is dry I would be willing to do the dipstick tube repair. Thanks for the advice. If I do pull the motor I am not concerned with bolt on's, more seals and what not.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Btw, pulling the motor is not a big deal for me, except how much time I have available to work on it. Thanks again guys.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I just ordered the Strictly Diesel adapter, should have it done by mid week if I can get enough time off. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to pull the inspection cover and verify the gasket hanging is just for the inspection cover as someone said above.

Tom S

Reaction score
If you have to pull the motor think about those big oil galley plugs on the rear of the motor.

Strokin89

Reaction score
It's not leaking oil it's sweating horsepower

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

Latest posts

Members online